Influence of Polivinylalcohol Cryogel Material Model in FEM Simulations on Deformation of LV Phantom
One of the available tools for validation of strain imaging methods are physical phantoms, most frequently produced of polivinylalcohol cryogel (PVA). This material was often assumed to exhibit elastic properties, but it has more complex nature. In this work we examine the influence of the applied material model – elastic vs hyperelastic – on the strains within the numerical model of the phantom obtained from FEM. This influence appeared significant – hyperelastic model provides lower strain contrasts and also the ratios between radial, circumferential and longitudinal strains differ for both models.
KeywordsLV phantom Strain imaging Polivinylalcohol PVA Finite Element Method
This study was supported by the Polish National Science Centre by the decision DEC-2012/07/B/ST7/01441.
Characterization of PVA material was supported by Polish-Norwegian Research Programme under grant agreement Pol-Nor/209584/19/2013.
- 1.De Craene, M., Marchesseau, S., Heyde, B., Gao, H., Alessandrini, M., Bernard, O., Piella, G., Porras, A.R., Tautz, L., Hennemuth, A., Prakosa, A., Liebgott, H., Somphone, O., Allain, P., Makram Ebeid, S., Delingette, H., Sermesant, M., D’hooge, J., Saloux, E.: 3D strain assessment in ultrasound (Straus): a synthetic comparison of five tracking methodologies. IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging 32(9), 1632–1646 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Jia, C., Kim, K., Weitzel, W.F., Jia, C., Rubin, J.M., Kolias, T.J.: P1E-1 left ventricular phantom with pulsatile circulation for ultrasound strain rate imaging. In: IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, 2006, pp. 1317–1320 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Heyde, B., Cygan, S., Choi, H.F., Lesniak-Plewinska, B., Barbosa, D., Elen, A., Claus, P., Loeckx, D., Kaluzynski, K., D’hooge, J.: Regional cardiac motion and strain estimation in three-dimensional echocardiography: a validation study in thick-walled univentricular phantoms. IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control 59(4), 668–682 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Carlsson, M., Ugander, M., Mosén, H., Buhre, T., Arheden, H.: Atrioventricular plane displacement is the major contributor to left ventricular pumping in healthy adults, athletes, and patients with dilated cardiomyopathy. Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 292(3), H1452–H1459 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.D’hooge, J., Heimdal, A., Jamal, F., Kukulski, T., Bijnens, B., Rademakers, F., Hatle, L., Suetens, P., Sutherland, G.R.: Regional strain and strain rate measurements by cardiac ultrasound: principles, implementation and limitations. Eur. J. Echocardiogr. J. Work. Group Echocardiogr. Eur. Soc. Cardiol. 1(3), 154–170 (2000)CrossRefGoogle Scholar