A Cross Validation of Consumer-Based Brand Equity (CBBE) with Private Labels in Spain
In recent years a number of Consumer-Based Brand Equity (CBBE) models and measurement scales have been introduced in the branding literature. However, examinations of brand equity in Private Labels (PL) are rather limited. This study aims to compare the validity of the two prominent CBBE models those introduced by Yoo and Donthu (2001) and Nam, Ekinci, and Whyatt (2011). In order to test the models and make this comparison, the study collected data from 236 respondents who rated private labels in Spain. A list of 30 different fashion and sportswear PL was introduced to respondents. These brands do not make any reference to the retail store in which they are sold. Research findings suggest that the extended CBBE model introduced by Nam et al. (2011) and Ciftci, Ekinci, and Whyatt (2014) is more reliable and valid than Yoo and Donthu’s model for assessing PL. Theoretical contributions and managerial implications are discussed.
KeywordsConsumer-based brand equity Customer satisfaction Service quality Private labels
- Aaker, D. A. (1991). Managing brand equity: Capitalizing on the value of a brand name. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Burt, S., & Davies, K. (2010). From the retail brand to the retailer as a brand: Themes and issues in retail branding research. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 38(11), 865–878.Google Scholar
- Ciftci, S., Ekinci, Y., & Whyatt, G. (2014). A cross validation of consumer-based brand equity (CBBE) scales in fashion retail industry. 2014 AMS Global Marketing Conference, Singapore, July 15–18.Google Scholar
- Frank, R. E., & Boyd, H. W. (1965). Are private-brand-prone grocery customers really different. Journal of Advertising Research, 5(4), 27–35.Google Scholar
- Hair, J. F., Jr., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., & Anderson, R. E. (2010). Multivariate data analysis: A global perspectives (7th ed.). New Jersey: Pearson Education.Google Scholar
- Malhotra, N. K. (2010). Marketing research: An applied orientation (6th ed.). London: Pearson Education.Google Scholar
- Molinillo, S., Ekinci, Y., Whyatt, G., & Occhiocupo, N. (2014). A trend analysis of private label research between 2000 and 2012. In J. C. Gázquez-Abad, F. J. Martínez-López, I. Esteban-Millat, & J. A. Mondejar-Jiménez (Eds.), National brand and private labels in retailing (Springer proceedings in business and economics, pp. 171–178). Cham: Springer.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nielsen. (2011). Global private label report: The rise of the value-conscious shopper. Available at www.nielsen.com/us/en/newswire/2011/global-private-label-report-the-rise-of-the-value-conscious-shopper.html. Accessed March 3, 2014.
- Private Label Manufacturers Association. (2014). Industry news. Available at www.plmainternational.com/industry-news/private-label-today. Accessed March 8, 2015.
- Rubio, N., Villaseñor, N., & Yagüe, M. J. (2015). Measuring store brand equity from the formative perspective; differences between heavy and light store brand buyers. Journal of Marketing Trends, 2(1), 29–36.Google Scholar
- Washburn, J., & Plank, R. (2002). Measuring brand equity: An evaluation of a consumer-based brand equity scale. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 17(6), 46–61.Google Scholar