What Is at Stake? What Should You Do? Why Should You Care?
- 1.1k Downloads
In today’s pervasive cyber world digital defense is a “must do” activity. Your financial assets, your good name, and even prudent protection against wrongful arrest all depend on your being careful online. And it is no longer just having an antivirus on your desktop computer. You need to take precautions with regard to your smart phone, Wi-Fi systems in your home, and office digital networks. In this chapter we tell you what is at stake and give you examples of things that can and do go wrong in the digital universe in which we all live. This is not just about protecting yourself. Your kids and even your parents can be attacked by cyberbullies or cyber-crooks and do a great deal of harm. You indeed have high stakes in the digital games being played on the Internet and our ever expanding cyber networks.
KeywordsCredit Card Smart Phone Bank Account Hate Crime Black Market
- 1.David Raven, “Nanny terrified after man hacks baby monitor and calls little girl ''cute'' over speaker.” The Daily Mirror, January 28, 2015. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/nanny-terrified-after-man-hacks-5056098
- 2.Southsea Man Helps Steal £22,000 from Woman's Bank Account After her E-mail is Hacked. http://www.southnews.org.uk/news/southsea-man-helps-steal-22000-from-womans-bank-account-after-her-e-mail-is-hacked.
- 3.Top Ten Identity Thefts, U.S. Internal Revenue Service. http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS%E2%80%99s-Top-Ten-Identity-Theft-Prosecutions.
- 4.A Parents’ Guide to Cybersecurity, www.ConnectSafely.org/security.
- 5.“Mum turns troll-hunter and forces 500 cyberbullies off the internet” The Mirror, August 18, 2013. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-turns-troll-hunter-forces-500-2180859
- 6.“Andrea Peterson, “How easy is it to hack an airplane?” Washington Post, April 21, 2015, p. A-14.Google Scholar
- 7.“Techopedia explains cyberattack.” http://www.techopedia.com/definition/24748/cyberattack
- 8.Susan Gallagher, “Inside CryptoWall 2.0: Ransomware, professional edition” ArsTechnica, Jan. 9, 2015., http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/01/inside-cryptowall-2-0-ransomware-professional-edition .
- 9.Lillian Ablon, Martin C. Libicki, Andrea A. Golay, “Markets for Cybercrime Tools and Stolen Data: The Hackers' Bazaar” Rand Corporation Report, http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR610.html (2014).
- 10.Ibid.Google Scholar
- 11.Somerville, Heather, “Retailers’ data breaches could get 'ugly' during holiday season” Mercury News, Nov. 27, 2014. http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_27025645/retailers-data-breaches-could-get-ugly-during-holiday .
- 12.“How To Make Passwords Obsolete” Information Week, April 7, 2015. http://www.informationweek.com/cloud/how-to-make-passwords-obsolete/d/d-id/1319775?_mc=NL_IWK_EDT_IWK_daily_20150408&cid=NL_IWK_EDT_IWK_daily_20150408 .
- 13.“Pharming and Phishing Definitions.” www.techterms.com/definition/pharming.
- 14.Space Launch Liability Indemnification Extension Act. U. S law that assumes liability from $500 million to $2.7 billion in the case of a launch disaster. Private insurance can be obtained for launch insurance up to $500 million.Google Scholar
- 15.Joseph N. Pelton, Indu Singh, ElenaSitnikov, “Cyber Threats, Extreme Solar Events and EMPs.” Inside Homeland Security, March 2015.Google Scholar
- 16.Ellen Nakashima, “U.S., 19 other nations crush criminal hacking ring” Washington Post, July 16, 2016, p. A4.Google Scholar