Pseudoelastic Shape Memory Alloys to Mitigate the Flutter Instability: A Numerical Study
A passive control of aeroelastic instabilities on a two-degrees-of-freedom (dofs) system is considered here using shape memory alloys (SMA) springs in their pseudo-elastic regime. SMA present a solid-solid phase change that allow them to face strong deformations (\(\sim \)10 %); in the pseudo-elastic regime, an hysteresis loop appears in the stress-strain relationship which in turn gives rise to an important amount of dissipated energy. This property makes the SMA a natural candidate for mitigating undesired vibrations in a passive manner. A 2-dofs system is here used to model the classical flutter instability of a wing section in a uniform flow. The SMA spring is selected to act on the pitch in order to dissipate energy of the predominant motion. A simple phenomenological model for the SMA hysteresis loop is introduced, allowing for a quantitative study of the important parameters to optimize in view of an experimental design. Thanks to a simple phenomenological model for the SMA hysteresis loop, a quantitative numerical study is performed in order to exhibit the best tuning of the material parameters for controlling the flutter instability.
KeywordsHysteresis Loop Shape Memory Alloy Bifurcation Diagram Limit Cycle Oscillation Flutter Speed
This work is supported by Direction Générale de l’Armement (DGA) from French Ministry of Defense.
- 3.Bisplinghoff, R.L., Ashley, H., Halfman, R.L.: Aeroelasticity. Courier Dover Publications, New York (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Doaré, O., Sbarra, A., Touzé, C., Moussa, M.O., Moumni, Z.: Experimental analysis of the quasistatic and dynamic torsional behaviour of shape memory alloys. Int. J. Solids Struct. (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Dowell, E.H. et al. A Modern Course in Aeroelasticity. Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Moussa, M.O.: Modélisation du comportement dynamique non-linéaire des structures en matériaux à mémoire de forme. PhD thesis, Ecole Polytechnique (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Saadat, S., Salichs, J., Noori, M., Hou, Z., Davoodi, H., Bar-On, I., Suzuki, Y., Masuda, A.: An overview of vibration and seismic applications of niti shape memory alloys. Smart Mater. Struct. (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Strelec, J.K., Lagoudas, D.C., Kahn, M.A., Yen, J.: Design and implementation of a shape memory alloy actuated reconfigurable airfoil. J. Intell. Mater. Syst. Struct. (2003)Google Scholar