Implementing an IEEE802.15.7 Physical Layer Simulation Model with OMNET++
Visible Light Communications (VLC) uses visible light spectrum as transmission medium for communications. VLC has gained recent interest as a favorable complement to radio frequency (RF) wireless communications systems due to the ubiquity and wide variety of applications. In 2011 the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers published the standard IEEE 802.15.7 . Nowadays, simulation tools are widely used to study, understand and achieve better network performance. This paper describes the design and implementation of a physical layer model based in IEEE802.15.7 standard using OMNET++ simulation tool . This software is a popular tool for building networks’ and modeling their behavior. The main goal of this paper is to introduce the developing and implementing of a software module to simulate the Physical Layer (PHY) based on IEEE802.15.7. The developed module, called simVLC will let researchers and students to study and simulate different scenarios in this standard.
KeywordsVLC IEEE802.15.7 Physical Layer MAC OMNET Simulator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wireless Optical Communication using Visible Light, IEEE802.15.7-2011, specificationsGoogle Scholar
- 2.Website, http://www.omnetpp.org
- 3.Philips Lumileds Lighting Company: Case Study: Beyond Compact Fluorescent Lighting (2008), http://www.philipslumileds.com/pdfs/CS20.pdf
- 4.Deicke, F., Fisher, W., Faulwaßer, M.: Optical Wireless Communication to Eco-System. In: Future Network & MobileSummit Conference 2012 (July 2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Bhalerao, M., Sonavane, S.: Visible light communication: A smart way towards wireless communication. In: IEEE International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI 2014), pp. 1370–1375 (September 2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Musa, A., Baba, M., Mansor, H., Asri, H.: The Design and Implementation of IEEE 802.15.7 Module with ns-2 Simulator. In: 2014 IEEE International Conference on Computer, Communications and Control Technology (I4CT 2014), September 2-4 (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Roberts, R.D., Rajagopal, S., Sang-Kyu, L.: IEEE 802.15.7 Physical Layer Summary. In: 2nd IEEE Workshop on Optical Wireless Communications, pp. 772–776 (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.González, O., Guerra, M., Martín, R.: Multi-User Visible Light Communications. In: Advances in Optical Communications, ch. 2, pp. 36–63. Intech (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Chen, F., Wang, N., German, R., Dressler, F.: Performance Evaluation of IEEE 802.15.4 LR-WPAN for Industrial Applications. In: Fifth Annual Conference on Wireless on Demand Network Systems and Services, pp. 89–96 (January 2008)Google Scholar