Analysis of Web Objects Distribution
Understanding how the web objects of a website are demanded is relevant for the design and implementation of techniques that assure a good quality of service. Several authors have studied generic profiles for web access, concluding that they resemble a Zipf distribution, but further evidences were missing. This paper contributes with additional empirical evidences that confirm that a Zipf distribution is present in different domains and that its form has changed from past studies. More specifically, the α parameter has become higher than one, as a consequence that the popularity factor has become more critical than before. This analysis also considers the impact of web technologies on the characterization of web traffic.
KeywordsWeb traffic analysis Web technology Zipf distribution Cache policy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Breslau, L., Cao, P., Fan, L., Phillips, G., Shenker, S.: Web caching and Zipf-like distributions: Evidence and implications. In: Proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM 1999, pp. 126–134. IEEE (March 1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Clauset, A., Shalizi, C.R., Newman, M.E.: Power-law Distributions, http://tuvalu.santafe.edu/aaronc/powerlaws/
- 6.Gill, P., Arlitt, M., Li, Z., Mahanti, A.: Youtube traffic characterization: a view from the edge. In: Proceedings of the 7th ACM SIGCOMM Conference on Internet Measurement, pp. 15–28. ACM (October 2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Huang, Q., Birman, K., van Renesse, R., Lloyd, W., Kumar, S., Li, H.C.: An analysis of Facebook photo caching. In: Proceedings of the Twenty-Fourth ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (pp, pp. 167–181. ACM (November 2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Imbrenda, C., Muscariello, L., Rossi, D.: Analyzing cacheable traffic in isp access networks for micro cdn applications via content-centric networking. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Information-Centric Networking, pp. 57–66. ACM (September 2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Nair, T.R., Jayarekha, P.: A rank based replacement policy for multimedia server cache using zipf-like law. arXiv preprint arXiv:1003.4062 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Podlipnig, S., Böszörmenyi, L.: A survey of web cache replacement strategies. ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR) 35(4), 374–398 (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Roadknight, C., Marshall, I., Vearer, D.: File Popularity Characterisation. In: Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Internet Server Performance (WISP 1999), Atlanta, GA (May 1999)Google Scholar