The Research of Lunar Dust Environment Influence and Design of a Simulation System
Lunar dust plays an important part in Lunar Exploration Program. It could influence normal operation of thermal control materials, optical cameras, optical sensors and other aircraft components and even seriously damage the solar arrays electrical generation by reducing their working efficiency. In this paper, a review of the lunar dust environment interaction with materials affecting thermal control system faults, seal failures, material wear, mechanisms’ failure, and electrostatic effects are discussed. It summarizes lunar dust characteristics including particle size distribution, density, chemical composition, abrasion, adhesion, cohesion. At last, it summarizes the problems associated with lunar dust suspension caused by lunar rover operation. The results of this research are important in future lunar exploration missions and in development efficient space material protection technologies.
KeywordsLunar dust Environment influence Lunar dust characteristic Simulation system
- 1.Schmitt H (2005) The Apollo experience/problems encountered with lunar dust. Biological Effects of Lunar Dust Workshop, Sunnyvale, CAGoogle Scholar
- 2.Apollo 12 Technical Crew Debriefings (U) (1969) Manned Spacecraft Center, Houston TX, 1 December 1969Google Scholar
- 3.Heywood H (1971) Article and shape distribution for lunar fines sample 12057,72. In: Proceedings of the second lunar science conference, vol 3. The M. I. T. Press, pp 1989–2001Google Scholar
- 4.Mitchell JK, Houston WN, Scott RF, Costes NC, Carrier WDIII, Bromwell LG (1972) Mechanical properties of lunar soil; density, porosity, cohesion, and angle of internal friction. In: Proceedings of the third lunar science conference, vol 3. The M. I. T. Press, pp 3235–3253Google Scholar
- 5.Nava DF (1974) Chemical compositions of some soils and rock types from the Apollo 15, 16, and 17, lunar sites. In: Proceedings of the fifth lunar science conference, vol 2. Pergamon Press, pp 1087–1096Google Scholar