Extended Bag of Visual Words for Face Detection
Face detection shows a challenging problem in the field of image analysis and computer vision and therefore it has received a great deal of attention over the last few years because of its many applications in various areas. In this paper we propose a new method for face detection using an Extended version of Bag of Visual Words (EBoVW). Two extensions of the original bag of visual words are made in this paper, fist, using Fuzzy C-means instead of K-means clustering and second is, building histogram of words using multiple dictionaries for each image. The performances of the original BoVW model with K-means and the proposed EBoVW are evaluated in terms of Area Under the Curve (AUC) and Equal Error Rate (EER) on MIT CBCL Face dataset which is a very large face dataset. The experimental results show the proposed model achieves very promising results.
KeywordsFace detection Bag of visual words Extended bag of visual words Scene classification SIFT Fuzzy C-means
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jafri, R., Arabnia, H.R.: A Survey of Face Detection Techniques. Journal of Information Processing Systems 5(2) (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Grudin, M.A.: On internal representations in face detection systems. Pattern Detection 33, 1161–1177 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Muja, M., Lowe, D.G.: Fast approximate nearest neighbors with automatic algorithm configuration. In: VISAPP (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Chum, O., Philbin, J., Sivic, J., Isard, M., Zisserman, A.: Total recall: automatic query expansion with a generative feature model for object retrieval. In: ICCV (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Aly, M., Welinder, P., Munich, M., Perona, P.: Towards automated large scale discovery of image families. In: CVPR Workshop on Internet Vision (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Aly, M.: Online learning for parameter selection in large scale image search. In: CVPR Workshop OLCV (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Center for Biological and Computational Learning at MIT (MIT-CBCL) Face Database #1. http://cbcl.mit.edu/cbcl/software-datasets/FaceData2.html
- 15.Mansfield, A.J., Wayman, J.A.: Best Practices in Testing and Reporting Performance of Biometric Devices (2002)Google Scholar
- 16.Smeraldi, F.: Ranklets: orientation selective non-parametric features applied to face detection. In: Proceedings of 16th IEEE International Conference on Pattern Detection, vol. 16(3), pp. 379–382 (2002)Google Scholar
- 18.Lin, Y.Y., Liu, T.-L.: Robust face detection with multi-class boosting. In: IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), vol. 1, pp. 680–687 (2005)Google Scholar