Applying a Genetic Algorithm Solution to Improve Compression of Wavelet Coefficient Sign
Discrete Wavelet Transform has been widely used in image compression because it is able to compact frequency and spatial localization of image energy into a small fraction of coefficients. In recent years coefficient sign coding has been used to improve image compression. The potential correlation between the sign of a coefficient and the signs of its neighbors opens the possibility to use a sign predictor to improve the image compression process. However, this relationship is not uniform and constant for any image. Typically, image encoders use entropy coding to compact the wavelet coefficients information. This work analyzes the impact of the input parameters over a genetic algorithm that distributes into contexts (sets) the wavelet sign predictors in such a way that the overall aggregate entropy will be reduced as much as possible and a as a consequence higher compression rates can be achieved.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Wavelets Image coding Sign coding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Holland, J.: Adaption in Natural and Artificial Systems. University of Michigan Press (1975)Google Scholar
- 2.Goldberg, D.E.: Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning. Addison-Wesley (1989)Google Scholar
- 3.ISO/IEC 15444–1: JPEG2000 image coding system (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Shapiro, J.: A fast technique for identifying zerotrees in the EZW algorithm. Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing 3, 1455–1458 (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Wu, X.: High-order context modeling and embedded conditional entropy coding of wavelet coefficients for image compression. In: Proc. of 31st Asilomar Conf. on Signals, Systems, and Computers, pp. 1378–1382 (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Deever, A., Hemami, S.S.: What’s your sign?: Efficient sign coding for embedded wavelet image coding. In: Proc. IEEE Data Compression Conf., Snowbird, UT, pp. 273–282 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Lopez, O., Martinez, M., Piñol, P., Malumbres, M., Oliver, J.: E-ltw: An enhanced ltw encoder with sign coding and precise rate control. In: 2009 16th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP) pp. 2821–2824, Nov 2009Google Scholar
- 9.Schwartz, E.L., Z, A., Boliek, M.: CREW: Compression with reversible embedded wavelets. In: Proc SPIE, pp. 212–221 (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Tian, C., Hemami, S.S.: An embedded image coding system baed on tarp filter with classification. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Montreal, Canada, May 2004Google Scholar
- 13.Morton, G.M.: A computer oriented geodetic data base and a new technique in file sequencing. Technical report, IBM Ltd (1966)Google Scholar
- 14.Riordan, J. In: Introduction to Combinatorial Analysis. Princeton University Press (1958)Google Scholar