Approximate Packing: Integer Programming Models, Valid Inequalities and Nesting
- 864 Downloads
Using a regular grid to approximate a container, packing objects is reduced to assigning objects to the nodes of the grid subject to non-overlapping constraints. The packing problem is then stated as a large scale linear 0-1 optimization problem. Different formulations for non-overlapping constraints are presented and compared. Valid inequalities are proposed to strengthening formulations. This approach is applied for packing circular and L-shaped objects. Circular object is considered in a general sense as a set of points that are all the same distance (not necessary Euclidean) from a given point. Different shapes, such as ellipses, rhombuses, rectangles, octagons, etc., are treated similarly by simply changing the definition of the norm used to define the distance. Nesting objects inside one another is also considered. Numerical results are presented to demonstrate the efficiency of the proposed approach.
KeywordsPacking problems Integer programming Large-scale optimization
This work was partially supported by Grants from RFBR, Russia (12 01 00893 a), and CONACYT, Mexico (167019).
- 5.Stevenson, D., Searchfield, G., Xu, X.: Spatial design of hearing aids incorporating multiple vents. Trends Hear. 18 (2014). doi: 10.1177/2331216514529189
- 10.Pinter, J.D., Kampas, F.J.: Nonlinear optimization in Mathematica with MathOptimizer Professional. Math. Educ. Res. 10, 1–18 (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Litvinchev, I., Ozuna, L.: Packing circles in a rectangular container. Paper presented at the 1st international congress on logistics and supply chain, Mexican Institute of Transportation, Queretaro, Mexico, 24–25 October 2013Google Scholar
- 18.Litvinchev, I., Ozuna, L.: Integer programming formulations for approximate packing circles in a rectangular container. Math. Probl. Eng. (2014). Article ID 317697, doi: 10.1155/2014/317697
- 22.Burkard, R., Dell’Amico, M., Martello, S.: Assignment Problems, Revised Reprint. SIAM (2012)Google Scholar
- 23.Wolsey, L.A.: Integer Programming. Wiley, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 24.ILOG CPLEX, Mathematical programming optimizers. Version 12.6 (2013)Google Scholar
- 26.Wang, W., Wang, H., Dai, G., Wang, H.: Visualization of large hierarchical data by circle packing. CHI ’06 Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, April 22–27, Montreal, Canada, pp. 517–520 (2006)Google Scholar
- 29.Litvinchev, I., Infante, L., Ozuna, L.: LP-based heuristic for packing circular-like objects in a rectangular container. Math. Probl. Eng. (to appear)Google Scholar
- 32.Litvinchev, I., Infante, L., Ozuna, L.: Packing circular-like objects in a rectangular container. J. Comput. Syst. Sci. Int. 54, 259--267 (2015)Google Scholar