A New Implementation of High Resolution Video Encoding Using the HEVC Standard
In this paper, the implementation method for encoding the high resolution videos using high efficiency video coding (HEVC) standard is introduced with a new approach. The HEVC standard, successor to the H.264/AVC standard, is more efficient than the H.264/AVC standard in the encoding high resolution videos. HEVC has been designed to focus on increasing video resolution and increasing the use of parallel processing architectures. Therefor, this approach merging all traditional configuration files used in the encoding process into only one configuration file without removing any parameters used in the traditional methods. Improvements are shown using the proposed approach in terms of encoding time as opposed to the traditional methods by reducing the access time by half which resulting from reducing the data exchange between the configuration files used in this process and without changing the rate-distortion (RD) performance or compression ratio.
KeywordsHigh efficiency video coding HEVC implementation rate-distortion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bossen, F., Bross, B., Suhring, K., Flynn, D.: HEVC complexity and implementation analysis. IEEE Trans. on Cir. and Sys. for Video Tech. 22(12) (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Sullivan, G., Ohm, J.-R., Han, W.-J., Wiegand, T.: Overview of the high efficiency video coding (HEVC) standard. IEEE Trans. on Cir. and Sys. for Video Tech., 22(12) (December 2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Wiegand, T., Sullivan, G.J., Bjöntegaard, G., Luthra, A.: Overview of the H.264/AVC video coding standard. IEEE Trans. on Cir. and Sys. for Video Tech. 13(7) (July 2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Hsia, S.-C., Hsu, W.-C., Lee, S.-C.: Low-complexity high-quality adaptive deblocking filter for H.264/AVC system. Signal Processing: Image Communication 27, 749–759 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Online (2012), http://hevc.hhi.fraunhofer.de/svn/svn_HEVCSoftware/branches
- 6.Kim, I.-K., McCann, K., Sugimoto, K., Bross, B., Han, W.-J.: High efficiency video coding (HEVC) test model draft 10 (HM 10) encoder description. Technical Report Doc. JCTVC-L1002, JCT-VC, Geneva, Switzerland (January 2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Bossen, F., Flynn, D., Suhring, K.: HM Software Manual. ITU-T SG16 WP3 and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11, Geneva, Switzerland (January 2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Norkin, A., Bjöntegaard, G., Fuldseth, A., Narroschke, M.: HEVC deblocking filter. IEEE Trans. on Cir. and Sys. for Video Tech. 22(12) (December 2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Lou, J., Jagmohan, A., He, D., Lu, L., Sun, M.-T.: H.264 deblocking speedup. IEEE Trans. on Cir. and Sys. for Video Tech. 19(8) (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Online (2003), ftp://hvc:US88Hula@ftp.tnt.uni-hannover.de/testsequencesGoogle Scholar
- 12.Bjontegaard, G.: Calculation of average PSNR differences between RD-curves. VCEG-M33, Texas, USA (April 2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Bossen, F.: Common test conditions and software reference configurations. JCTVC-D600, Daegu, KR, U.S.A. (January 2011)Google Scholar