Scheduling with Fixed Maintenance, Shared Resources and Nonlinear Feedrate Constraints: A Mine Planning Case Study
Given a short term mining plan, the task for an operational mine planner is to determine how the equipment in the mine should be used each day. That is, how crushers, loaders and trucks should be used to realise the short term plan. It is important to achieve both grade targets (by blending) and maximise the utilisation (i.e., throughput) of the mine. The resulting problem is a non-linear scheduling problem with maintenance constraints, blending and shared resources. In this paper, we decompose this problem into two parts: the blending, and the utilisation problems. We then focus our attention on the utilisation problem. We examine how to model and solve it using alternative approaches: specifically, constraint programming, MIQP and MINLP. We provide a repair heuristic based on an outer-approximation, and empirically demonstrate its effectiveness for solving the real-world instances of operational mine planning obtained from our industry partner.
KeywordsSchedule Problem Constraint Programming Maintenance Task Industry Partner Mixed Integer Nonlinear Programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bley, A., Boland, N., Froyland, G., Zuckerberg, M.: Solving mixed integer nonlinear programming problems for mine production planning with stockpiling. Tech. rep., University of New South Wales (2012). http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/ froyland/bbfz.pdf
- 3.Burt, C.N., Lipovetzky, N., Pearce, A.R., Stuckey, P.J.: Approximate uni-directional Benders decomposition. In: Proceedings of PlanSOpt-15 Workshop on Planning, Search and Optimization AAAI-15 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Coal Shovel Clip Art: Accessed: 17/11/2014 (2014). gofreedownload.net/
- 6.Gecode Team: Gecode: Generic constraint development environment (2006). http://www.gecode.org
- 7.HSL: a collection of Fortran codes for large scale scientific computation (2013). http://www.hsl.rl.ac.uk
- 8.Immersive Technologies: Accessed: 17/11/2014 (2014). http://www.immersivetechnologies.com/
- 10.Khayat, G.E., Langevin, A., Riopel, D.: Integrated production and material handling scheduling using mathematical programming and constraint programming. In: Proceedings CPAIOR (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Lipovetzky, N., Burt, C.N., Pearce, A.R., Stuckey, P.J.: Planning for mining operations with time and resource constraints. In: Proceedings of the Twenty-Fourth International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling, ICAPS 2014 (2014)Google Scholar
- 16.Ta, C., Kresta, J., Forbes, J., Marquez, H.: A stochastic optimization approach to mine truck allocation. International Journal of Surface Mining 19, 162–175 (2005)Google Scholar