Cytochrome P450cin (CYP176A1)
Cytochrome P450cin (P450cin) (CYP176A1) is a bacterial P450 enzyme that catalyses the enantiospecific hydroxylation of 1,8-cineole to (1R)-6β-hydroxycineole when reconstituted with its natural reduction-oxidation (redox) partner cindoxin, E. coli flavodoxin reductase, and NADPH as a source of electrons. This catalytic system has become a useful tool in the study of P450s as not only can large quantities of P450cin be prepared and rates of oxidation up to 1,500 min−1 achieved, but it also displays a number of unusual characteristics. These include an asparagine residue in P450cin that has been found in place of the usual conserved threonine residue observed in most P450s. In general, this conserved threonine controls oxygen activation to create the potent ferryl (Fe(IV=O) porphyrin cation radical required for substrate oxidation. Another atypical characteristic of P450cin is that it utilises an FMN-containing redoxin (cindoxin) rather than a ferridoxin as is usually observed with other bacterial P450s (e.g. P450cam). This chapter will review what is currently known about P450cin and how this enzyme has provided a greater understanding of P450s in general.
KeywordsCytochrome P450cin CYP176A1 Cindoxin Cindoxin reductase Ferric hydroperoxy species Ferryl porphyrin radical species
The authors would like to acknowledge that this work was supported in part by ARC Grants DP110104455 and DP140103229.
- 2.Ortiz de Montellano PR (ed) (2005) Cytochrome P450: structure, mechanism, and biochemistry. Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 3.Poulos TL, Finzel BC, Gunsalus IC, Wagner GC, Kraut J (1985) The 2.6-Å crystal-structure of Pseudomonas putida cytochrome P450. J Biol Chem 260:6122–6130Google Scholar
- 33.Aguey-Zinsou K-F, Bernhardt PV, De Voss JJ, Slessor KE (2003) Electrochemistry of P450cin: new insights into P450 electron transfer. Chem Commun 418–419Google Scholar
- 35.Hawkes DB (2003) Cytochrome P450cin, Ph.D. thesis, The University of Queensland, BrisbaneGoogle Scholar
- 36.Slessor KE (2007) Cytochrome P450cin: chemistry and biochemistry, Ph.D. thesis, The University of Queensland, BrisbaneGoogle Scholar
- 45.Slessor KE, Stok JE, Chow S, De Voss JJ, Unpublished resultsGoogle Scholar
- 52.Akhtar M, Corina D, Pratt J, Smith T (1976) Studies on removal of C-19 in estrogen biosynthesis using 18O2. J Chem Soc Chem Commun 854–856Google Scholar
- 59.Williams DR, Trudgill PW, Taylor DG (1989) Metabolism of 1,8-cineole by a Rhodococcus species – ring cleavage reactions. J Gen Microbiol 135:1957–1967Google Scholar
- 62.Gillam EMJ, Wunsch RM, Ueng YF, Shimada T, Reilly PEB, Kamataki T, Guengerich FP (1997) Expression of cytochrome P450 3A7 in Escherichia coli: effects of 5′ modification and catalytic characterization of recombinant enzyme expressed in bicistronic format with NADPH-cytochrome P450 reductase. Arch Biochem Biophys 346:81–90CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar