Experimental and Numerical Studies of Flow in a Duct with a Diaphragm
Results of an experimental study and numerical simulations are presented for the flow in a circular duct with an obstruction plate and an orifice (diaphragm). This is a model of components of an airplane’s Environmental Control System, or ECS. The Reynolds number of the flow is close to that in actual applications. The simulations rest on versions of the Detached-Eddy Simulation (DES) technique, with some differences in the definition of the Sub-Grid-Scale modelling length-scale. Two different CFD codes are used, the unstructured-grid BCFD code of Boeing and the high-order structured-grid NTS code. The number of grid points is around 8 million. The paper focuses on a comparison of computed and measured primary flow quantities (mean and fluctuating wall pressures). The ultimate objective is to evaluate the capabilities of the simulation approaches in predicting noise radiated into the airplane’s cabin. The agreement with experiment is generally encouraging, including spectra, with the high-order code reaching higher frequencies.
KeywordsUnstructured Grid Wall Pressure Separate Shear Layer Circular Array Orifice Plate
The study was partially supported by the Russian Scientific Foundation (Project no. 14-11-00060) and by the EU within the Project Go4Hybrid (under grant agreement no. 605361).
- 2.Shur, M.L., Spalart, P.R., Strelets, MKh., Travin, A.K.: Improvement of delayed detached-eddy simulation for LES with wall modeling. Int. J. Heat Fluid Flow 29, 1638–1649 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Spalart, P.R., Allmaras, S.R.: A one-equation turbulence model for aerodynamic flows. In: AIAA Paper, 92–0439 (1992)Google Scholar
- 6.Mockett, C., Fuchs, M., Garbaruk, A., Shur, M., Spalart, P., Strelets, M., Thiele, F., Travin, A.: Two non-zonal approaches to accelerate RANS to LES transition of free shear layers in DES. This bookGoogle Scholar
- 7.Cary, A., Dorgan, A., Mani, M.: Toward accurate flow predictions using unstructured meshes. In: AIAA, 2009–3650 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Strelets, M.: Detached-eddy simulation of massively separated flows. In: AIAA Paper, 2001–0879 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Shur, M., Strelets, M., Travin, A.: High-order implicit multi-block Navier-Stokes code: ten-years experience of application to RANS/DES/LES/DNS of turbulent flows. In: 7th Symposium on Overset Composite Grids & Solution Technology, Huntington Beach, California. http://agarbaruk.professorjournal.ru/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=a8f303a6-ddf5-4f03-9b30-fe11c95b1655&groupId=199655 (2004)