Information Continuity: A Temporal Approach to Assessing Metadata and Organizational Quality in an Institutional Repository
Repositories provide a vital infrastructure for an institution to aggregate and disseminate creative output, yet this task is only as successful as the effective organization of its content. The University of Kansas is currently undergoing a systematic review to analyze metadata and content organization in its own repository. This paper argues that for a full assessment to be achieved it is necessary to not view the repository as a fixed item, but as an entity with its own continuity. This temporal approach has a significant impact on establishing resource provenance for metadata policy adjustments, disciplinary migration, and resource extensibility. For any repository it is essential for ensuring long-term viability.
KeywordsInstitutional Repositories Information Hierarchy Author Generated Metadata Temporality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The University of Kansas, ScholarWorks, http://kuscholarworks.ku.edu
- 2.Boydens, I.: Informatiques, normes et temps. Bruylant, Bruxelles (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IDEALS, https://ideals.illinois.edu/
- 7.Glushko, R., McGrath, T.: Document Engineering. MIT Press, Cambridge (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Rimkus, K., Padilla, T., Popp, T., Martin, G.: Digital Preservation File Format Policies of ARL Member Libraries: An Analysis. D-Lib Magazine 20(3-4) (2014), doi:10.1045/march2014-rimkusGoogle Scholar
- 11.RLG-OCLC. Trusted Digital Repositories: Attributes and Responsibilities, Mountain View, CA (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.PREMIS Editorial Committee. Premis Data Dictionary for Preservation Meta-data, version 2.2. Washington, DC (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Hawley, K.: Temporal Parts. In: Zalta, E.N. (ed.) The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Winter 2010 edn. (2010), http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/win2010/entries/temporal-parts/
- 16.Open Archives Initiative-Object Reuse and Exchange, http://www.openarchives.org/ore/
- 17.OWL-Time, http://www.w3.org/2006/time