Re-conceptualising E-textbooks: In Search for a Descriptive Framework
The goal of this workshop paper is to present our first steps towards reconceptualising e-textbooks in the context of a research and development project called Learnmix. We propose an initial descriptive framework that helps us to gain a comprehensive understanding of students as active constructors of their knowledge while operating with numerous (digital) content items and mediating artefacts.
KeywordsE-textbooks Digitisation K-12 education Descriptive framework
This research has been produced in the context of LEARNMIX project (No RU/3013) funded by Archimedes Foundation.
- 2.Ching, C.C., Levin, J.A., Parisi, J.: Artifacts of knowledge and practice in university teaching and learning. In: Symposium: Perspectives on Artefacts in Physical and Virtual Learning Environments. American Educational Research Association, Chicago (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Fischer, G., Scharff, E.: Learning technologies in support of self-directed learning. J. Interact. Media Educ. 98(4), 1–32 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Hedberg, J.G., Chang, C.H.: G-Portal: supporting argumentation and multimodality in student solutions to geographical problems. In: Kommers, P., Richards, G. (eds.) Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 2005 World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications, pp. 4242–4247. Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education, Norfolk (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.MindCET: The future of digital textbooks (2012). http://www.mindcet.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Digital-Textbooks.-A-literature-review1.pdf
- 8.Moorefield-Lang, H.: An exploration of e-textbooks. Libr. Media Connect. 31(6), 18–19 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Salpeter, J.: Textbook deathwatch. Technol. Learn. 30(1), 26–30 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Smith, M., Kukulska-Hulme, A., Page, A.: Educational use cases from a shared exploration of e-books and iPads. In: Goh, T.-T. (ed.) E-Books and E-Readers for E-Learning, pp. 25–53. Victoria Business School, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Väljataga, T., Fiedler, S.H.: Going digital: literature review on E-textbooks. In: Zaphiris, P., Ioannou, A. (eds.) LCT 2014, Part I. LNCS, vol. 8523, pp. 138–148. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar
- 13.Warlick, D.: Textbooks of the future: it’s time the textbook industry redefined what they do and how they do it. Technol. Learn. 24, 28–29 (2004)Google Scholar