Designing Interactive Scratch Content for Future E-books
In the current paper we propose a framework for designing interactive content to make future e-books more dynamic. The problem with typical e-books today is that they seem to have a lack of interactivity. Considering the rapid advancement of digital technology there are many opportunities to change this situation. We focus on using the multimedia authoring tool Scratch as an option to create interactive content. The Scratch platform is valuable because content can be easily created, shared, embedded in websites and even possibly embedded in future e-books. Thus it opens up a possibility for making e-books more interactive and dynamic. Scratch by its very nature also promotes the constructivist pedagogy of learning by design. The framework we propose for designing interactive Scratch content was derived from creating a specific Scratch model to teach biology content. However, the framework is a promising start to producing interactive content that can apply potentially to any subject.
KeywordsE-books Learning by design Digital learning material Interactive simulations Visual programming environments
The Scratch models used in this research were produced in the context of a project Biodigi (http://www.biodigi.edu.ee/), financed by the European Social Fund. We would like to thank Meelis Brikker who created all drawings for the models.
- 3.Mäeots, M., Pedaste, M., Sarapuu, T.: Developing students’ transformative and regulative inquiry skills in a computer-based simulation. In: Paper presented at the 8th IASTED International Conference on Web-Based Education, Phuket, Thailand, 16–18 March 2009Google Scholar
- 8.Vreman-de Olde, C., de Jong, T., Gijlers, H.: Learning by designing instruction in the context of simulation-based inquiry learning. J. Educ. Technol. Soc. 16, 47–58 (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Lee, Y.: Scratch: Multimedia programming environment for young gifted learners. Gifted Child Today 34, 26–31 (2011)Google Scholar
- 16.Maloney, J.J., Burd, L.L., Kafai, Y.Y., Rusk, N.N., Silverman, B.B., Resnick, M.M.: Scratch: a sneak preview [education]. In: Proceedings Second International Conference on Creating, Connecting and Collaborating Through Computing, p. 104 (2004). doi: 10.1109/C5.2004.1314376
- 17.Estonian National Curriculum for Upper Secondary Schools. Appendix 4: Natural Science, p. 12 (2011). http://www.hm.ee/index.php?popup=download&id=11228