Design Principles for Digital Badge Systems
This paper describes a method for studying programs that issue Open Badges to recognize learning. The Design Principles Documentation (DPD) Project followed the development of 30 educational programs that planned to issue open digital badges to recognize “lifelong learning” accomplishment. The DPD Project’s aim was to formulate general design principles based on the practices observed among the 30 research subjects. Analysis yielded 37 principles across four researcher-selected functions of digital badge systems: recognizing learning, assessing learning, motivating learning, and studying learning. This work describes this research methodology and its affordances for uncovering relationships between different elements of badge system design and between those elements and the larger project contexts in which they operate.
KeywordsOpen badges Digital badges Design principles
This work was made possible by continuing funding and support from the MacArthur Foundation. Contributions to the development of the research and methodology described here were made by Rebecca Itow, Katerina Schenke, Cathy Tran, Andrea Rehak, and Christine Chow.
- 1.BuzzMath.: BuzzMath DML Stage 1 Proposal (2012). http://dml4.dmlcompetition.net/Competition/4/badges-projects.php%3Fid=2852.html
- 3.Grant, S., Shawgo, K.E.: Digital Badges: An Annotated Research Bibliography v1 (2013). http://www.hastac.org/pages/digital-badges-annotated-research-bibliography-v1
- 4.Hickey, D.T., Itow, R., Schenke, K., Tran, C., Otto, N., Chow, C.: Badges Design Principles Documentation Project January Interim Report. Indiana University (2014). http://iudpd.indiana.edu/JanuaryReport
- 5.Hickey, D.T.: Research Design Principles for Studying Learning with Digital Badges, 7 July 2013. http://www.hastac.org/blogs/dthickey/2013/07/07/research-design-principles-studying-learning-digital-badges
- 6.Itow, R.: Badges Design Principles Database Project: Update on Principles, 9 May 2013. http://www.hastac.org/blogs/rcitow/2013/05/19/badges-design-principles-database-project-update-principles
- 7.Mozilla Foundation and Peer 2 Peer University.: Open Badges for Lifelong Learning: Working Paper, 27 August 2012. https://wiki.mozilla.org/images/5/59/OpenBadges-Working-Paper_012312.pdf
- 8.Design Principles Documentation Project. (n.d.). Design Principles Documentation Project. http://dpdproject.info/