Exploiting the Relation Between Environmental Factors and Diseases: A Case Study on Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
The raise of chronic diseases poses a challenge for the health care sector worldwide. In many cases, diseases are affected by an environmental component that, until now, could be hardly controlled. However, with the recent advances in information and communication technologies applied to cities, it becomes possible to collect real-time environmental data and use them to provide chronic patients with recommendations able to adapt to the changing environmental conditions.
In this article, we study the use of the sensing capabilities of the so-called smart cities in the context of the recently proposed concept of Smart Health. In this context, we propose a way to exploit the relation between environmental factors and diseases, and we show how to obtain a comfort level for patients. Moreover, we study the application of our proposal to outdoor exercises and rehabilitative activities related to the treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.
KeywordsSmart health e-Health m-Health COPD Smart cities
- 3.Atkinson, R.W., Ross Anderson, H., Sunyer, J., Ayres, J., Baccini, M., Vonk, J.M., Boumghar, A., Forastiere, F., Forsberg, B., Touloumi, G., et al.: Acute effects of particulate air pollution on respiratory admissions: results from aphea 2 project. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 164(10), 1860–1866 (2001)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Caragliu, A., del Bo, C., Nijkamp, P.: Smart cities in Europe. In: CERS’09, 3rd Central European Conference in Regional Science, pp. 45–59, October 2009Google Scholar
- 12.Istepanian, R., Laxminarayan, S., Pattichis, C.S. (eds.): M-Health: Emerging Mobile Health Systems. Springer, Berlin (2006). ISBN 978-0-387-26558-2Google Scholar
- 13.Karakatsani, A., Analitis, A., Perifanou, D., Ayres, J.G., Harrison, R.M., Kotronarou, A., Kavouras, I.G., Pekkanen, J., Hämeri, K., Kos, G.P., et al.: Particulate matter air pollution and respiratory symptoms in individuals having either asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a European multicentre panel study. Environ. Health 11(1), 75 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Pérez-Martínez, P.A., Martínez-Ballesté, A., Solanas, A.: Privacy in smart cities - a case study of smart public parking. In: PECCS 2013 - Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Pervasive Embedded Computing and Communication Systems, pp. 55–59 (2013)Google Scholar
- 20.Ray P (ed.): Special issue on emerging technologies in communications - area 1 m-health. IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun. 31(9), 607–617(2013)Google Scholar