An Incremental Probabilistic Model to Predict Bus Bunching in Real-Time
In this paper, we presented a probabilistic framework to predict Bus Bunching (BB) occurrences in real-time. It uses both historical and real-time data to approximate the headway distributions on the further stops of a given route by employing both offline and online supervised learning techniques. Such approximations are incrementally calculated by reusing the latest prediction residuals to update the further ones. These update rules extend the Perceptron’s delta rule by assuming an adaptive beta value based on the current context. These distributions are then used to compute the likelihood of forming a bus platoon on a further stop - which may trigger an threshold-based BB alarm. This framework was evaluated using real-world data about the trips of 3 bus lines throughout an year running on the city of Porto, Portugal. The results are promising.
Keywordssupervised learning probabilistic reasoning online learning perceptron regression bus bunching travel time prediction headway prediction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Powell, J. W., Huang, Y., Bastani, F., Ji, M.: Towards reducing taxicab cruising time using spatio-temporal profitability maps. In: Pfoser, D., Tao, Y., Mouratidis, K., Nascimento, M.A., Mokbel, M., Shekhar, S., Huang, Y. (eds.) SSTD 2011. LNCS, vol. 6849, pp. 242–260. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Mishalani, R., McCord, M., Wirtz, J.: Passenger wait time perceptions at bus stops: empirical results and impact on evaluating real-time bus arrival information. Journal of Public Transportation 9(2), 89 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Strathman, J., Kimpel, T., Dueker, K.: Transportation Northwest: Bus transit operations control: review and an experiment involving tri-met’s automated bus dispatching system. Technical report, Transportation Northwest, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Washington (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.D’Agostino, R.B.: Transformation to normality of the null distribution of g1. Biometrika, 679–681 (1970)Google Scholar
- 13.Mendes-Moreira, J., Jorge, A., de Sousa, J., Soares, C.: Comparing state-of-the-art regression methods for long term travel time prediction. Intelligent Data Analysis 16(3), 427–449 (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.R Core Team: R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria (2012)Google Scholar