SAP AG & StarShea Limited (Ghana): Sustainable Value Creation Through Collaboration with Companies, NGOs, and Intermediaries
In cooperation with the non-profit organisation PlaNet Finance SAP is involved in the shea value chain in Ghana since 2009. What started off as a project is now a functioning company in Ghana, which was drawn up as a social business according to Professor Muhammad Yunus. Why? What does SAP, the biggest global provider of business software, have to do with processing and trading shea nuts and butter? By drawing a connection between the company’s purpose and its sustainable business strategy, this article goes about to analyze this question. Innovations in SAP’s core business, deploying and improving the abilities of its own employees but also the SAP ecosystem play a significant role here.
KeywordsGlobal Reporting Initiative Cocoa Butter Equivalent International Customer Shea Butter Social Business
- ADM. (2013). ADM cocoa confirms its commitment to improving livelihoods of farmers at World Cocoa Conference. ADM press release from Jan 8, 2013. http://www.adm.com/en-US/products/Cocoa/news_trends/_layouts/StoryDetail.aspx?ID=33&l=/en-US/products/Cocoa/. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Dodson, L., Sterling, S. R., & Bennett, J. K. (2012). Considering failure. In Proceedings of the fifth international conference on information and communication technologies and development – ICTD’12, 56. New York, NY: ACM Press. doi: 10.1145/2160673.2160681.
- Gradl, C., Kükenshöner, C., Schmidt, J., & Ströh de Martinez, S. (2012). Growing business with smallholders. Bonn: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internaltionale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH.Google Scholar
- Global Reporting Initiative (GRI). (2013). Materiality in the context of the GRI reporting framework. https://www.globalreporting.org/reporting/guidelinesonline/TechnicalProtocol/Pages/MaterialityInTheContextOfTheGRIReportingFramework.aspx. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Hammond, A., Kramer, W. J., Tran, J., Katz, R., & Walker, C. (2007) The next 4 billion: Market size and business strategy at the base of the pyramid. Washington, DC: World Resources Institute, International Finance Corporation.Google Scholar
- Heeks, R. (2002). Failure, success and improvisation of information systems projects in developing countries (Paper No. 11). Manchester: Institute for Development Policy and Management.Google Scholar
- IFAD. (2011). Rural poverty report 2011 – New realities, new challenges: New opportunities for tomorrow’s generation. Rome: Quintly.Google Scholar
- Lovett, P. (2004, November). The shea butter value chain. Production, transformation, and marketing in West Africa. WATH technical report no. 2. Daka: WATH.Google Scholar
- Oxford. (2013). Greenwashing. http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/greenwash. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Planet Finance. (2013). L’expert de la microfinance. www.planetfinance.org. Zugegriffen April 2, 2013.
- Porter, M., & Kramer, M. (2006). Strategy and society: The link between competitive advantage and corporate social responsibility. Harvard Business Review, 84(12), 78–92.Google Scholar
- Prahalad, C. K. (2004). The fortune at the bottom of the pyramid. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Wharton School Publishing.Google Scholar
- Rammohan, S. (2010). The shea value chain reinforcement initiative in Ghana, by SAP, PlaNet Finance, Grameen Ghana and Maata-N-Tudu, CASE study, Stanford Global Supply Chain Management Forum. Stanford Graduate school of Business.Google Scholar
- SAP. (2009a). SAP increases focus on sustainable business. SAP press release from 2 March 2009. http://www.sap.com/corporate-en/press.epx?pressid=10988. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- SAP. (2009b). Digital inclusion. SAP sustainability report 2008. http://archive.sapsustainabilityreport.com/2008/priorities/digitalInclusion.html?sct=view. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- SAP. (2011). African Cashew Initiative helps small-scale farmers in Ghana through IT. In SAP Community Network. Published on 29 July 2011. http://scn.sap.com/community/research/blog/2011/07/29/african-cashew-initiative-helps-small-scale-farmers-in-ghana-through-it. Accessed April 2013.
- SAP. (2013). Integrierter Bericht 2012. Vision, Mission, und Strategie. http://www.sapintegratedreport.com/2012/unternehmensleistung/vision-mission-und-strategie.html. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- StarShea. (2013). www.starshea.com. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- UNDP. (2000). The millennium development goals – 8 goals for 2015. http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/mdgoverview.html. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Vodafone. (2011). Connected agriculture – The role of mobile in driving efficiency and sustainability in the food and agriculture value chain. Policy.Google Scholar
- Yunus, M. (2009). Creating a world without poverty: Social business and the future of capitalism. New York: PublicAffairs.Google Scholar
- Yunus Social Business. (2013). http://www.yunussb.com/. Accessed April 2, 2013.