Independent Capital Group: The Importance of Sustainable Value Creation as an Investment Criterion
Integrating sustainability in corporate strategy is a must-have today. In fact, it is the basis for long-term economic success and subsequently a central investment criterion for long-term oriented investors. Investment strategies are considered sustainable when they do not only consider economic criteria, but also social and environmental aspects as well as $#x201C;good governance$#x201D;. Sustainability strategies can be applied across all sectors and connected with every economic activity. The fast growing global volume of sustainable investments indicate this rising importance for investors. Case studies of leading Swiss companies operating in global markets show that a consistently implemented, comprehensive sustainability strategy brings significant economic benefits and shareholder as well as stakeholder value.
KeywordsCorporate Social Responsibility Supply Chain Institutional Investor Global Reporting Initiative Sustainability Report
- Eccles, R. G., Ioannou, I., $amp; Serafeim, G. (2011). The impact of a corporate culture of sustainability on corporate behavior and performance (Working paper). Boston, MA: Harvard Business School.Google Scholar
- Eurosif. (2014). European SRI study. http://www.eurosif.org/our-work/research/sri/european-sri-study-2014/. Accessed 20 November 2014.
- Geberit. (2012). Annual report 2012.Google Scholar
- Geberit. (2013). Geberit Nachhaltigkeitsstrategie 2012$#x2013;2013 mit Zielen und Massnahmen. http://geschaeftsbericht.geberit.com/geberit/annual/2011/gb/German/pdf/SustainabilityStrategy_2012_13_20120215_DE.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2014.
- GRI. (2013). Global reporting initiative. http://www.globalreporting.org/G4. Accessed 11 June 2013.
- Global Sustainable Investment Alliance. (2012). Sustainable investment review 2012. http://www.gsi-alliance.org/resources/. Accessed 11 June 2013.
- Mercer. (2009). Shedding light on responsible investments, approaches, returns and impacts.Google Scholar
- PRI. (2013a). PRI association. http://www.unpri.org/about-pri/about-pri. Accessed 11 August 2013.
- PRI. (2014). PRI fact sheet. http://www.unpri.org/news/pri-fact-sheet/. Accessed 12 May 2014.
- SASB. (2013). Accounting for a sustainable future. http://www.sasb.org. Accessed 11 June 2013.
- Staub-Bisang, M. (Ed.). (2011). Sustainable investing for institutional investors. Z$#x00FC;rich: Verlag Neue Z$#x00FC;rcher Zeitung.Google Scholar
- Staub-Bisang, M. (2012). Nachhaltigkeit ist ein pragmatischer Ansatz. In Portfolio Institutional 10/12.Google Scholar
- UN. (2010). UN global compact. http://www.unglobalcompact.org/news/50-06-24-2010. Accessed 11 June 2013.