Fur Visualisation for Computer Game Engines and Real-Time Rendering
In this paper there is a method of real-time rendering of fur presented. Physical-based properties of a hair and fur strands are analysed. The work develops shell based method of rendering hair and fur, by new approach to strand modelling and rendering. Thanks to using efficient algorithms the presented method works in interactive, on-line mode and is less demanding in terms of an artist work. Thus it could be used in the production process of real-time rendering applications and computer games of various genres.
Keywordsreal-time hair and fur rendering physical simulation computer game engines
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hedberg, V., Lagergren, M., Limsäter, F.: SpeedFur - A GPU based procedural hair & fur modeling system. In: SIGGRAPH 2011, Vancouver, Canada (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Hair rendering in game ”Shadow of the Colossus”. Electronic publication (June 2013), http://teamico.wikia.com/wiki/Graphics_and_post-processing_effects_used_in_Shadow_of_the_Colossus
- 3.Lengyel, J., Praun, E., Finkelstein, A., Hoppe, H.: Real-Time Fur over Arbitrary Surfaces. In: I3D 2001, Research Triangle Park, NC USA, pp. 227–232 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Nguyen, H., Donnelly, W.: Hair Animation and Rendering in the Nalu Demo. In: GPU Gems 2, ch. 23. Addison-Wesley (July 2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Scott, G.V., Robbins, C.R.: Stiffness of human hair fibers. New Youk, J. Soc. Cosmet. Chem. 29, 469–485 (1978)Google Scholar