Programming and Meaning
During April 2005 at the University of York, an international workshop was held called ‘The Grand Challenge in Non-Classical Computation’. The purpose of the conference was to stimulate those doing research and development in Computer Science to consider new approaches to computing. The stimulation for this challenge was triggered by the novel concept of ‘Quantum Computing’, which seemed to offer the potential for ultra fast parallel processing using quantum mechanical principles such as superposition and entanglement.
KeywordsSocially sensitive computing Cybernetics Informatics Church-Turing thesis Tractatus Signs Symbols Objects Tautologies Judgement
- Billinge D, Addis T (2003) The functioning of tropic communication: a mechanism for consistent figurative descriptions of artistic effect. In: AISB’03 symposium on artificial intelligence and creativity in arts and science. University of Wales, AberystwythGoogle Scholar
- Kleene SC (1967) Mathematical logic. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Wiener N (1948) Cybernetics: or control and communication in the animal and the machine. MIT, Cambridge, ISBN 0262 230070, ISBN 026273009XGoogle Scholar
- Wittgenstein L (1921) Tractatus logico-philosophicus (English edition 1961). Routledge and Kegan Paul, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Wittgenstein L (1953) Philosophical investigations. Blackwell, OxfordGoogle Scholar