Automatic Screening and Classification of Diabetic Retinopathy Fundus Images
Eye screening is essential for the early detection and treatment of the diabetic retinopathy. This paper presents an automatic screening system for diabetic retinopathy to be used in the field of retinal ophthalmology. The paper first explores the existing systems and applications related to diabetic retinopathy screening and detection methods that have been previously reported in the literature. The proposed ophthalmic decision support system consists of an automatic acquisition, screening and classification of diabetic retinopathy fundus images, which will assist in the detection and management of the diabetic retinopathy. The developed system contains four main parts, namely the image acquisition, the image preprocessing, the feature extraction, and the classification by using several machine learning techniques.
KeywordsDiabetic Retinopathy Eye Screening Eye Fundus Images Image Processing Classifiers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Duin, R.P.W., Juszczak, P., Paclik, P., Pekalska, E., de Ridder, D., Tax, D.M.J., Verzakov, S.: PRTools4.1, A Matlab Toolbox for Pattern Recognition, Delft University of Technology (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Itseez, http://opencv.org
- 4.Joshi, S., Karule, P.T.: Retinal blood vessel segmentation. International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology 1(3), 175–178 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Karasulu, B.: Automated extraction of retinal blood vessels: a software implementation. European Scientific Journal 8(30), 47–57 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Kauppi, T., Kalesnykiene, V., Kamarainen, J.-K., Lensu, L., Sorri, I., Uusitalo, H., Kalviainen, H., Pietila, J.: DIARETDB0: Evaluation Database and Methodology for Diabetic Retinopathy Algorithms, Technical report (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Perumalsamy, N., Sathya, S., Prasad, N.M., Ramasamy, K.: Software for reading and grading diabetic retinopathy. Aravind Diabetic Retinopathy Screening 3.0 Diabetes Care 30(9), 2302–2306 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Priya, R., Aruna, P.: Review of automated diagnosis of diabetic retinopathy using the support vector machine. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research 1(4), 844–863 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Priya, R., Aruna, P.: Diagnosis of diabetic retinopathy using machine learning techniques. Journal on Soft Computing 3(4), 563–575 (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Priya, R., Aruna, P., Suriya, R.: Image analysis technique for detecting diabetic retinopathy. International Journal of Computer Applications 1, 34–38 (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Sonka, M., Hlavac, V., Boyle, R.: Image Processing, Analysis, and Machine Vision. Cengage Learning. United States of America (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.Taylor, R., Batey, D.: Handbook of retinal screening in diabetes: diagnosis and management. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., England (2012)Google Scholar