Tides, Statistics and the Art of Discovery
An excursion into the theory of tides resulted in the presentation of a completely incorrect explanation. To help biologists understand statistics, Kapteyn performed a detailed study of skew frequency distributions, which resulted in a bitter disagreement with Karl Pearson, an authority in these matters. Kapteyn also published an extensive study on correlation theory. He was asked to represent the US Academy of Sciences at the tercentennial of Groningen University. Hale and Kapteyn kept up a lively correspondence in 1915 on the importance of inductive vis-á-vis deductive methods of scientific research, Kapteyn promoting the inductive approach and the Hale the deductive one. In this correspondence Kapteyn described his approach to research in great detail. The letters also contained comments on World War I. Kapteyn, being prevented from visiting Mount Wilson, had to be kept from resigning his position as Research Associate in California. Hale told him that he could do the work that came with this appointment anywhere he liked.
KeywordsProper Motion Carnegie Institution Evil Spirit Deductive Method Royal Observatory
Chapter 14. Tides, Statistics and the Art of Discovery
- From The Chemical News and Journal of Physical Science (22 Sep 1916).Google Scholar
- International Statistical Review 77, 96–117 (2009).Google Scholar
- J. Aitchison & J.A.C. Brown, Cambridge University Press (1966).Google Scholar
- Annals of the Astronomical Observatory of Harvard College, 48, 149–185 (1903). [1903AnHar..48.149P]Google Scholar
- Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, London, A186, 343–414 (1895).Google Scholar
- Biometrika, 4, 169–212 (1905).Google Scholar
- Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, 61, 670–700 (1898).Google Scholar
- Biometrika, 5, 168–171 (1906).Google Scholar
- Statistica Neerlandica, 255–25813 (2008); onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doiu/10.1111/j.1467--9574.1959.tb00870.x/pdf.
- See www.vanuven.nl, homepage of the Van Uven Stichting.
- Gerwina, 15, 195–207 (1992).Google Scholar
- Extrait du T. IX des Mémoires présentés par divers Savants à l’Académie Royale des Sciences de l’Institut de France, 9, 255–332. (1846). A version from 1884 can be downloaded using download.digitale-sammlungen.de/BOOKS/pdf_download.pl?id=bsb10053322.
- Biometrika, 13, 25–45 (1920).Google Scholar
- In 3 volumes, published in 4 parts, Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- www.beeldbankgroningen.nl/beeldbank/; identificatienummer: NL-GnGRA_ 1986_446. Foto collectie RHC Groninger Archieven (1986–446).
- www.beeldbankgroningen.nl/beeldbank/; identificatienummer: NL-GnGRA _1785_5645. Foto collectie RHC Groninger Archieven (1785–5645).