Kapteyn has been described as an excellent teacher by many of his students. In 1908 and 1909 Kapteyn had two other PhD students, Herman Weersma (on a determination of the Solar Apex) and Lambertus Yntema (on measurements of the background star light). Kapteyn was also offered the directorship of Leiden Observatory, when the older van de Sande Bakhuyzen died. He declined but Leiden followed his advise to appoint de Sitter as professor of astrophysics.
KeywordsProper Motion Surface Brightness Magellanic Cloud Small Magellanic Cloud Zodiacal Light
Chapter 12. Students
- Also on Jet Katgert-Merkelijn’s homepage: home.strw.leidenuniv./nl~merke/lyn/1926_Groningen.html.Google Scholar
- De Bouw der Sterrenstelsels (1931), Wolters, Groningen.Google Scholar
- Annual Reviews of Astronomy & Astrophysics, 19, 1–5 (1981). [1981 ARA&A..19.1O]Google Scholar
- Universitas Groningana MCMXIV-MCMLXIV, Groningen (1964), 176–183.Google Scholar
- The home page of the Mathematics Genealogy Project is at genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/index.php. Kapteyn is #112114, Haga #114664 and Schoute #49650. The completeness of the MGP is far from guaranteed.Google Scholar
- Astronomische Nachrichten, 16, 43–50 (1838). [1838AN.....16.43A]Google Scholar
- Kindly made available by Dr. Matsuoka, firstname.lastname@example.org.Google Scholar
- Lund panorama reproduced with permission, www.astro.lu.se/Resources/Vintergatan/; van der Kruit (1986) op. cit..
- Astronomy & Astrophysics, 157, 230–244 (1986). [1986A&A...157.230V]Google Scholar
- Astrophysical Journal, 14, 297–312 (1901). [1901ApJ....14.297N]Google Scholar
- Cosmic optical background: The view from Pioneer 10/11 by Y. Matsuoka, N. Ienaka, K. Kawara & S. Oyabu, Astrophysical Journal, 736, article id. 119, 14 pp. (2011). Picture kindly made available by Dr. Matsuoka.Google Scholar
- Digital Special Collections. socrates. leidenuniv.nl/R?func=search-simple&local_base=gen01-disc.
- University of Chicago Press; 1st edition (1997), ISBN-13: 978-0226468860.Google Scholar
- Information handling in astronomy – Historical vistas, Ed. A. Heck, Astrophysics and Space Science Library, 285, 267–273, Dordrecht: Kluwer (2003). [2003ASSL..285.267J]Google Scholar