An Environment to Foster Scientific Collaborations
Collaboration is an integral part of modern scientific research. It is hard to imagine any modern scientific endeavor that does not involve a group of people. However, collaboration is frequently constrained to close partners or proximal groups. Finding new potential partners with whom to exchange ideas is an important step in establishing new working groups. We propose to use automated system to recommend potential collaborators, and present a system for this purpose. One of the problems involved is establishing criteria to select these potential partners. We address this issue by (1) automatically constructing users profiles from publicly available data to establish areas of expertise and (2) employing an analysis of users’ networks to select partners with the potential for fruitful relationships.
Keywordscollaboration social network analysis group recommendation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Silva, E.L.: Rede científica e a construção do conhecimento. Informação e Sociedade: Estudos 12(1), 120–148 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Sonnenwald, D.H.: Scientific Collaboration. Annual Review of Information Science and Technology 42(1), 643–681 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Ziman, J.M.: Public Knowledge, p. 164. Itatiaia, Ed. da USP, Belo Horizonte, São Paulo (1979) (in Portuguese) Google Scholar
- 8.COLLNET - Collaboration Network, http://www.collnet.de/ (last accessed February 2014)
- 9.Cazella, S.C., Nunes, M.A.S.N., Reategui, E.B.: Science of Opinion: state of the art of recommender systems. In: XXX Congresso da SBC Jornada de Atualização da Informática, Porto Alegre, Brasil, vol. 52, p. 146 (2010) (in Portuguese) Google Scholar
- 10.Motta, C.L.R., Garcia, A.C.B., Vivacqua, A.S., Santoro, F.M., Sampaio, J.O.: Reccomendation Systems. In: Pimentel, M., Fuks, H. (eds.) Sistemas Colaborativos, p. 416. Elsevier, Rio de Janeiro (2011) (in Portuguese)Google Scholar
- 12.Olson, G.M., Olson, J.S.: Distance Matters. Journal of Human Computer Interaction 15(2) (September 2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Coleta de dados CAPES, http://www.capes.gov.br/avaliacao/coleta-de-dados/ (last accessed February 2014)
- 14.Plataforma LATTES, http://lattes.cnpq.br (last acessed November 2011)
- 15.DBLP - Digital Bibliography and Library Project, http://www.informatik.unitrier.de/~ley/db/index.html (last accessed May 2014)