A Non-local Method for Robust Noisy Image Completion
The problem of noisy image completion refers to recovering an image from a random subset of its noisy intensities. In this paper, we propose a non-local patch-based algorithm to settle the noisy image completion problem following the methodology “grouping and collaboratively filtering”. The target of “grouping” is to form patch matrices by matching and stacking similar image patches. And the “collaboratively filtering” is achieved by transforming the tasks of simultaneously estimating missing values and removing noises for the stacked patch matrices into low-rank matrix completion problems, which can be efficiently solved by minimizing the nuclear norm of the matrix with linear constraints. The final output is produced by synthesizing all the restored patches. To improve the robustness of our algorithm, we employ an efficient and accurate patch matching method with adaptations including pre-completion and outliers removal, etc. Experiments demonstrate that our approach achieves state-of-the-art performance for the noisy image completion problem in terms of both PSNR and subjective visual quality.
KeywordsMatrix Completion Nuclear Norm Completion Problem Similar Patch Corrupted Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Barnes, C., Shechtman, E., Finkelstein, A., Goldman, D.B.: Patchmatch: a randomized correspondence algorithm for structural image editing. In: SIGGRAPH (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Coifman, R.R., Donoho, D.L.: Translation-invariant de-noising. Springer (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Criminisi, A., Pérez, P., Toyama, K.: Region filling and object removal by exemplar-based image inpainting. IEEE TIP 13(9), 1200–1212 (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Ji, H., Liu, C., Shen, Z., Xu, Y.: Robust video denoising using low rank matrix completion. In: CVPR (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Kokaram, A.C.: On missing data treatment for degraded video and film archives: a survey and a new bayesian approach. IEEE TIP 13(3), 397–415 (2004)Google Scholar
- 17.Kokaram, A.C., Godsill, S.J.: Mcmc for joint noise reduction and missing data treatment in degraded video. IEEE TSP 50(2), 189–205 (2002)Google Scholar
- 19.Lin, Z., Chen, M., Ma, Y.: The augmented lagrange multiplier method for exact recovery of corrupted low-rank matrices. UIUC Technical Report UILUENG-09-2215 (2010)Google Scholar
- 20.Mairal, J., Bach, F., Ponce, J., Sapiro, G., Zisserman, A.: Non-local sparse models for image restoration. In: ICCV (2009)Google Scholar
- 24.Simakov, D., Caspi, Y., Shechtman, E., Irani, M.: Summarizing visual data using bidirectional similarity. In: CVPR (2008)Google Scholar
- 28.Wei, L.Y., Levoy, M.: Fast texture synthesis using tree-structured vector quantization. In: SIGGRAPH (2000)Google Scholar