- 811 Downloads
Preface introduces reader to the general context of Heidegger’s philosophy and its application to psychiatry. It situates Heidegger’s thought in the epistemological scheme outlined by Foucault in his Les mots et les choses. In the context of the so-called modern episteme, what becomes visible are not only contours of the ontological analysis of human existence, but also its limitations. One of these limitations is the impossibility to grasp the end of human existence and the disintegration of the self as positive phenomena, i.e. to see them in themselves, and not only in the light of the individual unity of human existence, which has consequences especially for psychiatric approach to schizophrenia. In order to overcome this limitation, Deleuze’s and Guattari’s schizoanalysis is placed in opposition to the ontological analysis of human existence.
KeywordsHuman existence Mental disorder Individuality Epistemology
- 1.Binswanger, Ludwig. 1957. Schizophrenie. Pfullingen: Neske.Google Scholar
- 2.Deleuze, Gilles, and Félix Guattari. 1972. L’Anti-Oedipe: Capitalisme et schizophrénie. Paris: Minuit. English edition: Deleuze, Gilles, and Félix Guattari. 1983. Anti-Oedipus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia. Trans. Robert Hurley, Mark Seem, and Helen R. Lane. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press. Foucault, Michel. 1963. Naissance de la Clinique. Paris: PUF.Google Scholar
- 3.Foucault, Michel. 1963. Naissance de la Clinique. Paris: PUF. English edition: Foucault, Michel. 1973. The Birth of the Clinic. Trans. A.M. Sheridan. London: Tavistock Publications Limited.Google Scholar
- 4.Heidegger, Martin. 1987. Zollikoner Seminare. Protokolle, Gespräche, Briefe. ed. Medard Boss. Frankfurt am Main: Vittorio Klostermann. English edition: Heidegger, Martin. 2001. Zollikon Seminars. Trans. Franz Mayr and Richard Askay. Evanston: Northwestern University Press.Google Scholar
- 5.Heidegger, Martin. 1993. Sein und Zeit, 17th ed. Tübingen: Niemeyer. English edition: Heidegger, Martin. 1996. Being and Time. Trans. Stambaugh, Joan. Albany: SUNY Press.Google Scholar