Dimensional Synthesis of Six-Bar Linkages with Incomplete Data Set
The paper deals with the synthesis problem of six-bar linkage for motion guidance with a finite set of prescribed poses. Compared with four-bar linkage which admits exact solutions for five separated poses, the six-bar linkages in general admit infinitive many solutions for the same number of poses, due to the fact that the motion-guidance in the case of six-bar linkage provides incomplete data for linkage synthesis. In this paper, the problem of six-bar linkage synthesis is revisited addressing the problem with incomplete data and its implication in design flexibility. A new method is developed to incorporate with incomplete set of data. A design example is included to demonstrate the application of the method.
KeywordsBurmester problem Six-bar linkage Rigid-body guidance Exact dimensional synthesis Synthesis with incomplete data set
The author acknowledges the industrial support from Peder Nielsen Beslagfabrik A/S and collaboration with Mr. Skjold Rune Mortensen.
- 1.Burmester L (1888) Lehrbuch der Kinematik. Arthur Felix Verlag, LeipzigGoogle Scholar
- 5.Modler KH (1972) Beitrag zur theorie der burmesterschen mittelpunktkurve, –teil 1. Maschinenbautechnik 21(3):98–102Google Scholar
- 6.Al-Widyan K, Angeles J, Cervantes-Sánchez JJ (2002) A numerical roboust algorithm to solve the five-pose Burmester problem. In: Proceedings of DETC2002, Montreal, #MECH-34270Google Scholar
- 7.Angeles J, Bai S (2010) A robust solution of the spherical Burmester problem. In: Proceedings of DETC2010, Montreal, #MECH–28189Google Scholar
- 8.Bai S, Angeles J (2012) A robust solution of the spatial Burmester problem. ASME J Mech Robot 4(3):031003.1–031003.10Google Scholar