Security-Aware Base Station Sleeping Algorithm in Heterogeneous Networks
Switching underutilized base stations (BSs) to sleep mode is recognized as a promising approach to reduce the energy consumption of cellular networks, but it may lead to an increasing outage probability and severer eavesdropping effect on users depending on BSs cooperation. In order to secure users from eavesdropping, we propose a novel Security-aware BS Sleeping (SBSS) algorithm for heterogeneous networks. Our approach contains two scenarios. In the first scenario, the low-power BSs are sparsely deployed, while in the second one are opposite. In both scenarios, minimizing the system energy consumption and guaranteeing the system communication security need to be ensured. Our proposed algorithm achieves a significant power saving, meanwhile secures the system transmission.
heterogeneous networks, sleep mode, density threshold, physical layer security, energy saving
KeywordsCellular Network Heterogeneous Network Sleep Mode Macro Base Station Physical Layer Security
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Global Action Plan, An inefficient truth, Global Action Plan Report (December 2007), http://www.globalactionplan.org.uk
- 2.Chen, T., Zhang, H., Zhao, Z., Chen, X.: Towards green wireless access networks. In: Proc. ChinaCom 2010, Beijing (2010) (August 2010) (Invited Paper)Google Scholar
- 4.Marsan, M.A., Chiaraviglio, L., Ciullo, D., Meo, M.: Optimal energy savings in cellular access networks. In: Proc. IEEE ICC 2009 Workshop, GreenComm (June 2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Han, S., Yang, C., Wang, G., Lei, M.: On the Energy Efficiency of Base Station Sleeping with Multicell Cooperative Transmission. In: 2011 IEEE 22nd International Symposium on Personal Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), pp. 1536–1540 (September 2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, L., Zhang, X., Zhu, W., Song, M.: Picocell-Density Based Energy-Saving for QoS Provisioning in Heterogeneous Networks. In: 2013 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), pp. 175–180 (April 2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Haenggi, M.: The Secrecy Graph and Some of its Properties. In: 2008 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), pp. 6–11 (July 2008)Google Scholar