Higher Education Shaping the Unscripted Future: The Imperative to Affirm Human Values in Transformative Times
This chapter employs micro-and macro levels of analyses to provide a broad overview of the foundational role of higher education in shaping the future of nations, societies, and individuals, reinforcing values and strengthening the social fabric. The function of scripts as pathways for an individual’s future is detailed, as is how higher education may be used to change the script of one’s life. The discussion of individual scripts is applied to the shaping of societies and nations. Key values that provide a common grounding for decisions in uncertain times are also discussed.
KeywordsHigh Education Human Dignity United States Constitution Universal Declaration Social Fabric
- Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities. (2012). The land-grant tradition. Washington, DC: APLU. http://www.aplu.org/document.doc?id=780. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Barber, E. S. (n.d.). One hundred years toward suffrage: an overview. National Woman Suffrage Collection Association. Library of Congress. http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/naw/nawstime.html. Accessed 16 Dec 2013.
- Bradsher, K. (2013). Next made-in-China boom: college graduates. The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/17/business/chinas-ambitious-goal-for-boom-in-college-graduates.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Clinton Global Initiative. (2012). President Clinton opened 2012 Clinton Global Initiative annual meeting emphasizing action through social investment, empowering girls and women, and designing for impact. Press Release September 22, 2012.Google Scholar
- Declaration of Independence. (2013). http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/declaration_transcript.html. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- DiPadova-Stocks, L. (2011). Dean’s message. Hauptmann School of Public Affairs, Park University. http://www.park.edu/academics/hauptmann-school-of-public-affairs/deans-message.html. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Goldin, I. (2008). 21st century challenges: Humanity at the crossroads. London: Oxford Martin School, Oxford University. http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/videos/view/23. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Greenstone, M., Looney, A., Patashnik, J., & Yu, M. (2013) Thirteen economic facts about mobility and the role of higher education. Brookings Institution. http://www.brookings.edu/research/reports/2013/06/13-facts-higher-education. Accessed 16 Dec 2013.
- Hefland, D. (2013). Designing a university for the new millennium. TEDx. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZQe73IXZtU&feature=share&list=PL98356CD352B01730 Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Jefferson, T. (n.d.). Thomas Jefferson’s design of his headstone. Thomas Jefferson Exhibition. Library of Congress. http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/jefferson/207.html. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Jefferson, T. (1786, August 13). Letter to George Wythe. Monticello. http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/quotations-education#footnote2_w5bjsm0. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Johansen, B. (2009). Leaders make the future. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler, Inc.Google Scholar
- Kamenetz, A. (2010). How innovations are enabling personal learning networks that augment traditional learning. TEDx DIY U. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6MLLkmXee0. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Kurzweil, R. (2005). The singularity is near: When humans transcend biology. New York: Penguin Group.Google Scholar
- Levermanna, A., Clark, P., Marzeiond, B., Milnee, G., Pollard, D., Radicg, V., & Robinson, A. (2013). The multimillennial sea-level commitment of global warming. In J. C. Moore (Ed.), Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. http://www.pik-potsdam.de/~anders/publications/levermann_clark13.pdf. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Locke, J. (1690). Second treatise of government. Seaside, Oregon, USA: Watchmaker Publishing Co., 2011.Google Scholar
- Martin, J. (2006). The meaning of the 21st century. New York: Riverhead Books. http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/videos/view/23
- McCullough, D. M. (2001). John Adams. New York: Simon & Schuster.Google Scholar
- McMurrin, S. (1961, May 8). Comments on the present condition of American education. Testimony before the subcommittee on appropriations, Departments of Labor and Health, Education, and Welfare Appropriations for 1962, Eighty-seventh Congress, United States House of Representatives. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.Google Scholar
- Mettler, S. (2005). How the G.I. bill built the middle class and enhanced democracy. Scholars Strategy Network. http://www.scholarsstrategynetwork.org/sites/default/files/ssn_key_findings_mettler_on_gi_bill.pdf. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Miller, R., Michalski, W., & Stevens, L. (1998). Twenty-first century technologies: promises and perils of a dynamic future. Paris: Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development. http://www.oecd.org/futures/35391210.pdf. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Monticello. (n.d.). Jefferson’s Gravestone. Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia. http://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/jeffersons-gravestone. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Moravec, J. (2013). Knowmad society. Minneapolis: Educate Futures.Google Scholar
- Policy Evaluation and Research Center. (2011). Optimizing talent: Closing educational and social mobility gaps worldwide (Policy Notes, Vol. 19, p. 2). Princeton: Policy Evaluation and Research Center, Educational Testing Service. http://www.ets.org/Media/Research/pdf/PICPN192.pdf. Accessed 16 Dec 2013.
- Qin, D., Stocker, T., & WGI Bureau. (2013). IPCC Fifth Assessment Report (WGI AR5). Climate Change 2013: The physical science basis. Bern, Switzerland: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. http://www.climatechange2013.org/report/review-comments-disclaimer Anders. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Rudolph, F. (1991). The American college and university: A history. Athens: University of Georgia Press.Google Scholar
- Scharmer, O., & Kaufer, K. (2013). Leading from the emerging future (p. 1). San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler, Inc.Google Scholar
- Servicemen’s Readjustment Act of 1944. National Archives and Records Administration, USA Freedom Corps, and US History Day. http://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=true&doc=76. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Shapiro, H. (2005). A larger sense of purpose: Higher education and society. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Shelby v Holder, 570 U.S. (2013). http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/12-96_6k47.pdf. Accessed 16 Dec 2013.
- Stern, N. (2007). The Stern review: Economics of climate change. New York: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Supreme Judicial Court. (2007). John Adams and the Massachusetts Constitution. Massachusetts Judicial Branch. http://www.mass.gov/courts/sjc/john-adams-b.html. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- The Federal Role in Education. (n.d.). United States Department of Education. http://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/fed/role.html. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Trachtenberg, S. (2009). Of course it’s not your father’s Oldsmobile: They don’t make them anymore. In D. D. Denecke (Ed.), Graduate education in 2020: What does the future hold? Washington, DC: Council of Graduate Schools.Google Scholar
- United Nations. (1948). Universal declaration of declaration of human rights. The United Nations. http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml. Assessed 17 Dec 2013.
- University of Virginia. (2013). Founding of the university. Short history of UVa. http://www.virginia.edu/uvatours/shorthistory/. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Vaidyanathan, P. (2013, June 12). Shot Pakistan schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai addresses UN. BBC News. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23282662. Accessed 16 Dec 2013.
- Wolfe, B. (2013). The Roanoke colonies. Encyclopedia Virginia. Virginia Foundation for the Humanities. http://encyclopediavirginia.org/Roanoke_Colonies_The#start_entry. Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Yousafzai, M. (2013). I am Malala: The girl who stood up for education and was shot by the Taliban. New York: Little, Brown and Company.Google Scholar