Performance Comparison of Screening Tests for POAG for T2DM Using Comp2ROC Package
Primary open angle glaucoma (POAG) is a leading cause of blindness . The commonly accepted risk factors for POAG include older age, high intraocular pressure, positive family history of glaucoma, and race .
Individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) are at greater risk of having open-angle glaucoma (POAG) than those without T2DM. Thus, screening programs for diabetic retinopathy may be an excellent opportunity for screening for POAG and implementation of additional tests.
In this work we intend to evaluate the performance of GDx measures for detecting POAG through the methodology of ROC curves.
One retrospective cross-sectional study was carried out on individuals with T2DM with evaluation of diabetic retinopathy from 2008 to 2010 in Hospital Centre of Vila Nova de Gaia Northern Portugal. Individuals who had a positive screen were referred for scanning the nerve fiber layer of the retina with GDxTMdevice. In this study, the diagnosis of POAG was based on a computerized ophthalmoscopy and static analysis and based on this, the eyes were classified as healthy (n N = 85) and with definite glaucoma (n A = 37).
The comparison of diagnostic indicators was performed by Comp2ROC package .
KeywordsROC (Receiver Operating Characteristic) AUC (Area Under the Curve) Comp2ROC
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Braga, A.C., Frade, H.: Comp2ROC: R Package to Compare Two ROC Curves. In: Mohamad, M.S., Nanni, L., Rocha, M.P., Fdez-Riverola, F. (eds.) 7th International Conference on Practical Applications of Computational Biology & Bioinformatics (PACBB 2013). AISC, vol. 222, pp. 127–136. Springer, Switzerland (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Hanley, J., McNeil, B.: A method of comparing the areas under receiver operating characteristic curves derived from the same cases. Radiology 148(3), 839–843 (1983)Google Scholar
- 7.Jiang, Y.L., Metz, C.E., Nishikawa, R.M.: A receiver operating: Characteristic partial area index for highly sensitive diagnostic tests. Radiology 201(3), 745–750 (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Leske, M.C.: The epidemiology of open-angle glaucoma: A review. Am. J. Epidemiol. 118(2), 166–191 (1983)Google Scholar
- 10.Metz, C.E.: Statistical Analysis of ROC Dara in Evaluating Diagnostic Performance. In: Proceeding of First Midyear Topical Symposium: Multiple Regression Analysis Application in the Health Science, vol. 13, pp. 365–384 (1986)Google Scholar
- 11.Metz, C.E., Wang, P.-L., Kronman, H.: A new approach for testing the significance of differences between ROC curves measured from correlated data. In: Proceedings of the 8th Conference in Information Processing in Medical Imaging, Brussels, pp. 432–445 (1983)Google Scholar
- 13.Pepe, M.S.: The Statistical Evaluation of Medical Tests for Classification an Prediction. Oxford Statistical Science Series. Oxford University Press, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.R Development Core Team. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna: R Foundation for Statistical Computing (2006), http://www.R-project.org
- 16.Swets, J.A., Pickett, R.M.: Evaluation of Diagnostic Systems Methods from Signal Detection Theory. Academic Press, London (1982)Google Scholar
- 20.Glaucoma tests, http://vision.about.com/od/eyeexamination1/f/GDx.htm
- 21.Sharma, A., Sobti, A., Wadhwani, M., Panda, A.: Evaluation of Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer using Scanning Laser Polarimetry, www.jaypeejournals.com/eJournals/