Fighting in the Shadows: Health Policies and Data Availability about HIV/AIDS A Case Study in Apulia (Italy)
Despite the interventions enacted by the EU in 2009/2013 to fight HIV/AIDS, the latest Italian budget measures contain important cuts to health expenditure. These cuts are not allowing local authorities to develop health policies to fight against the epidemic in an efficient way by limiting both prevention and care.The main purpose is to analyze the incidence and policies regarding HIV/AIDS in Italy through a case study in the Apulia Region. First, are examined the national policy strategies and the modifications introduced by local authorities to face HIV/AIDS. Subsequently, are described the incidence and the main features of HIV/AIDS in Italy and Apulia; identifying the socio-demographic profile of an HIV-positive-individuals sample. The Italian situation regarding HIV/AIDS is still surrounded of shadows. The study of the infected population gives significant clues about the interventions that are needed, and constitutes the basis for public health policy and planning at a local level.
KeywordsAIDS HIV population Health Policies Italy Apulia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ECDC/WHO. HIV/AIDS Surveillance in Europe, 2007. Stockholm and UNAIDS report (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.EURISPES. Sintesi dei risultati sul tema “italiani e la chiesa” (Synthesis of the results on “Italians and the Church”). Rapporto Italia (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.European Commission. The fight against HIV/AIDS in the European Union and neighbouring countries, 2009-2013. Brussels (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.ISS. Notiziario dell’Istituto Superiore di Sanità. Italia (2011) Google Scholar
- 6.ECDC/WHO. HIV/AIDS Surveillance in Europe, 2008. Stockholm and UNAIDS report (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Decreto Ministeriale 31 marzo 2008. Istituzione del Sistema di Sorveglianza delle nuove diagnosi di infezione da HIV (Institution of Surveillance of newly diagnosis HIV infection). Gazzetta Ufficiale, Italy, 175 (luglio 28, 2008)Google Scholar
- 8.OER Puglia, Regione Puglia, ARES. Relazione sullo stato di salute della popolazione pugliese (Report on the State of Health of the Apulian Population) (2009)Google Scholar