VGI to Enhance Minor Historic Centres and Their Territorial Cultural Heritage
The advent of Web 2.0 and the development of information and communication technologies represent an opportunity to reduce the spatial distances and enhance fast access to any type of information.
In particular, in recent years, the spread of Smart Mobile Applications and an increasing accessibility to social networks has provoked a growth of exchanged information and shared knowledge. Among the multiple applications, for spatial planning disciplines, it is interesting those related to the city and to urban and regional development’s processes.
The processes of e-planning and e-participation for enhancing minor historic centers and their territorial cultural heritage have a particular interest.
This paper will try to understand what are the new strategies for development and enhancement of cultural territorial systems through the use of these tools and what are the perspectives for development.
In particular, in the first part of the work we try to understand what are the new tools available for the construction of knowledge and the enhancement of cultural heritage, while in the second part we define possible uses for these tools and why these technologies can be an opportunity for minor historic centers and their surrounding landscapes.
Finally, in the last part we bring the reader’s attention to a series of international case studies of particular interest in order to understand whether these new tools can be an effective support for decision-making processes and for the preparation of plans and projects of regeneration and enhancement of minor historic centers and their territorial cultural heritage.
KeywordsICT minor historic centers participation volunteered geographic information urban and regional planning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Council of Europe: European Landscape Convention. Strasbourg (2000), http://conventions.coe.int/Treaty/en/Treaties/Html/176.htm
- 3.Aretano, R., Petrosillo, I., Zaccarelli, N., Semeraro, T., Zurlini, G.: People perception of landscape change effects on ecosystem services in small Mediterranean islands: A combination of subjective and objective assessments. Landscape and Urban Planning (112), 63–73 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Clementi, A.: Revisioni di paesaggio, Meltemi, Roma (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Magnaghi, A.: The Urban Village: A Charter for Democracy and Local Self-sustainable Development. Zed Books, London (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Wang, H., Song, Y., Hamilton, A., Curwell, S.: Urban information integration for advanced e-Planning in Europe. Government Information Quarterly (24), 736–754 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Brown, G., Kelly, M., Whitall, D.: Which ‘public’? Sampling effects in public participation GIS (PPGIS) and volunteered geographic information (VGI) systems for public lands management. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management (2013), http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09640568.2012.741045
- 13.Healey, P.: Collaborative planning: Shaping Places in Fragmented Societies. University of British Columbia Press, Vancouver (1997)Google Scholar
- 15.Garnero, G., Corrias, A., Manigas, L., Zedda, S.V.: VGI, Augmented Reality and Smart Web Application: Projects of Development in the Territory of the Sardinia Region. In: Murgante, B., Misra, S., Carlini, M., Torre, C.M., Nguyen, H.-Q., Taniar, D., Apduhan, B.O., Gervasi, O. (eds.) ICCSA 2013, Part IV. LNCS, vol. 7974, pp. 77–92. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Organization of Economic Co-Operation and Development: Environmental Indicators for Agriculture Methods and Results, OECD, Parigi (2001)Google Scholar
- 18.UNESCO: Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage (1972)Google Scholar
- 19.Bonfantini, G.B.: Planning the historic centres in Italy: For a critical outline. Planum. The Journal of Urbanism (25), 1–19 (2012)Google Scholar
- 20.Fusco Girard, L.: Processi valutativi per lo sviluppo sostenibile. In: Brunetta, G., Pistoia, R. (eds.) (a cura di), Trasformazioni, coesioni, sviluppo territoriale. Temi emergenti nella scienze regionali; Associazione Italiana di Scienze Regonali, Franco Angeli, Milano, vol. (38) (2006)Google Scholar
- 21.Chandler, A.D.: Strategy and structure. Chapters un the history of the American industrial enterprise. The MIT Press, Cambridge (1962)Google Scholar
- 22.Ministero per i Beni e le Attività Culturali: Progetto di definizione di un modello per la realizzazione dei Piani di Gestione dei siti UNESCO (2005)Google Scholar
- 23.Kelsey, C., Gray, H.: The citizen survey process in parks and recreation. American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, Reston, VA (1986)Google Scholar
- 24.Modica, G., Zoccali, P., Di Fazio, S.: The e-Participation in Tranquillity Areas Identification as a Key Factor for Sustainable Landscape Planning. In: Murgante, B., Misra, S., Carlini, M., Torre, C.M., Nguyen, H.-Q., Taniar, D., Apduhan, B.O., Gervasi, O. (eds.) ICCSA 2013, Part III. LNCS, vol. 7973, pp. 550–565. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Brown g., Weber D.: A place-based approach to conservation management using public participation GIS (PPGIS). Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 1–19 (2012)Google Scholar
- 30.Brown, G., Reed, P.: Public participation GIS: A new method for national forest planning. Forest Science 55(2), 166–182 (2009)Google Scholar
- 33.Apulia Region: Landscape Observatory (2009), http://paesaggio.regione.puglia.it/index.php/osservatorio/introduzione.html (accessed February 6, 2014)
- 34.Sardinia Region: Sardinia geoblog (2011), http://webgis.regione.sardegna.it/sardegnageoblog/?page_id=2 (accessed February 6, 2014)
- 35.Sardinia Region: LAB.net plus. Cross-border network for the enhancement of landscapes and local identities (2011), http://labnet-plus.eu/ (accessed February 6, 2014)
- 36.Viggiano Municipality: MUVIG. Museum of Local Traditions, http://www.darteq.eu/muvig/ (accessed February 6, 2014)
- 37.Landscape Values & PPGIS Institute: http://www.landscapevalues.org/ (accessed February 6, 2014)
- 38.Région Pays de la Loire: http://www.patrimoine.paysdelaloire.fr/ (accessed February 6, 2014)
- 39.UNESCO: Recommendation on the Conservation of Historic Urban Landscape, 1st Draft for discussion (2010)Google Scholar
- 40.Attardi, R., Pisani, G., Selicato, S.: Scenario Workshop as tools for Planning the Redevelopment of Historic Territorial Assets. In: Scutelnicu, E.D., Rotondo, F., Varum, H. (eds.) Recent Advances in Engineering Mechanics, Structures and Urban Planning. WSEAS Press, Cambridge (2013)Google Scholar
- 41.Rotondo, F., Loconte, P.: Innovations in practice. Regional regeneration strategies for municipalities networks. In: Scutelnicu, E.D., Rotondo, F., Varum, H. (eds.) Recent Advances in Engineering Mechanics, Structures and Urban Planning. WSEAS Press, Cambridge (2013)Google Scholar
- 42.Torre, C.M., Perchinunno, P., Rotondo, F.: Estimates of housing costs and housing difficulties: An application on Italian metropolitan areas. In: Housing, Housing Costs and Mortgages: Trends, Impact and Prediction, pp. 93–108. Nova Science Publications, New York (2013)Google Scholar