Automated Registration of 3D TEE Datasets of the Descending Aorta for Improved Examination and Quantification of Atheromas Burden
We propose a robust and efficient approach for the reconstruction of the descending aorta from contiguous 3D transesophageal echocardiographic (TEE) images. It is based on an ad hoc protocol, designed to acquire ordered and partially overlapped 3D TEE datasets, followed by automated image registration that relies on this a priori knowledge. The method was validated using artificially derived misaligned images, and then applied to 14 consecutive patients. Both qualitative and quantitative results demonstrated the potential feasibility and accuracy of the proposed approach. Its clinical applicability could improve the assessment of aortic total plaque burden from 3D TEE images.
KeywordsTransesophageal Echocardiography Acquisition Protocol Normalize Cross Correlation Automate Registration Aortic Plaque
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bainbridge, D.: 3D imaging for aortic plaque assessment. In: Seminars in Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, vol. 9, pp. 163–165. Sage Publications (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Kutz, S.M., Lee, V.S., Tunick, P.A., Krinsky, G.A., Kronzon, I.: Atheromas of the thoracic aorta: A comparison of transesophageal echocardiography and breath-hold gadolinium-enhanced 3-dimensional magnetic resonance angiography. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 12(10), 853–858 (1999)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Harloff, A., Brendecke, S.M., Simon, J., Assefa, D., Wallis, W., Helbing, T., Weber, J., Frydrychowicz, A., Vach, W., Weiller, C., et al.: 3D MRI provides improved visualization and detection of aortic arch plaques compared to transesophageal echocardiography. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging 36(3), 604–611 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Piazzese, C., Tsang, W., Sotaquira, M., Lang, R.M., Caiani, E.G.: Semi-automated detection and quantification of aortic atheromas from three-dimensional transesophageal echocardiography. In: Computing in Cardiology Conference (CinC), pp. 13–16. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Ibanez, L., Schroeder, W., Ng, L., Cates, J.: The ITK Software Guide, 1st edn. Kitware, Inc. (2003), http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf, ISBN 1-930934-10-6
- 9.Vaduganathan, P., Ewton, A., Nagueh, S.F., Weilbaecher, D.G., Safi, H.J., Zoghbi, W.A.: Pathologic correlates of aortic plaques, thrombi and mobile aortic debris imaged in vivo with transesophageal echocardiography. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 30(2), 357–363 (1997)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Housden, R.J., Ma, Y., Arujuna, A., Nijhof, N., Cathier, P., Gijsbers, G., Bullens, R., Gill, J., Rinaldi, C.A., Parish, V., et al.: Extended-field-of-view three-dimensional transesophageal echocardiography using image-based x-ray probe tracking. Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology 39(6), 993–1005 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar