An Active Vulnerable Road User Protection Based on One 24 GHz Automotive Radar
- 1.9k Downloads
Among other initiatives to improve safety of Vulnerable Road Users (VRUs), the European Commission is funding a research project called ARTRAC: “Advanced Radar Tracking and Classification for Enhanced Road Safety” aimed to develop an integrated safety concept for pedestrians. ARTRAC investigates the possibility to use a stand-alone radar sensor especially for the detection of VRUs in order to generate the appropriate supporting actions to the driver with the goal to avoid or mitigate a possible collision. The supporting actions comprise driver warning, automatic braking and steering recommendation. This paper provides an overview of the definition of the system solutions for the warning and vehicle automatic actuations in case of a potentially dangerous situation with respect to a VRU occurs; and of the development of specific software for the actuation over the vehicle braking and steering with the goal to perform an automatic response devoted to avoid an accident involving a VRU or, in the worst case, to mitigate the impact. The functional performance of the systems is analyzed with a specialized pedestrian test facility.
KeywordsActive Safety Automatic Braking Automotive Radar Collision Avoidance Collision Warning Control Strategies Steering Recommendation VRU Protection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brandt, T., Sattel, T.: Path planning for automotive collision avoidance based on elastic bands. In: 16th IFAC World Congress, Prague, Czech Republic, July 3-8 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Heuer, M., Al-Hamadi, A., Meinecke, M.-M.: An Observation Model for High Resolution Radar Data in the Context of an Au-tomotive Pedestrian Safety System. In: International Radar Symposium, Dresden, Germany, June 19-21 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Lu, M., Wevers, K., van der Heijden, R., Heijer, T.: Adas applications for improving traffic safety. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Systems, Man and Cybernetics Conf., vol. 4, pp. 3995–4002 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Meinecke, M.-M., Heuer, M., Achmus, S., Olders, S., Rohling, H., Heuel, S., Mende, R., Häkli, J., Wegner, A., Sanchez, D., Mangosio, S.: User needs and Requirements for VRU protecting systems based on multipurpose narrowband radar. ARTRAC Deliverable D2.1 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Sáez, M., Álvarez, E., Meinecke, M.-M., Heuer, M., Mangosio, S., Cuevas, Á.: Driving Intervention Actuation. ARTRAC Deliverable D5.1 (2014)Google Scholar