Effect of Haptic Perception on Remote Human-Pet Interaction
Even when a pet owner is away from his/her pet, he/she often wants to feel closer to the pet. The purpose of this study is to provide a means for the pet owner to feel the presence of his/her pet even when away from it; this is achieved by exchange of haptic feedback. In this paper, we describe such a remote haptic interaction system that consists of haptic devices for remote haptic communication; we also utilize tablets for video chat. A pet owner and his/her pet can feel closer to one another via haptic responses generated by corresponding haptic device. Two experimental evaluations were conducted to compare interactions between a pet owner and his/her pet using our system with another interactions achieved only via video chat. Results showed that these remote haptic interactions increased the pet owner’s feeling of communicating with his/her pet. In general, pet owners reported feeling closer to their pet by using our system.
Keywordshaptic interaction remote interaction pet interaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hu, F., Silver, D., Trudel, A.: LonelyDog@Home. In: Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conferences on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology - Workshops, pp. 333–337 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Golbeck, J., Neustaedter, C.: Pet Video Chat: Monitoring and Interacting with Dogs over Distance. In: Proceedings of CHI 2012 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 211–220 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Teh, K.S., Lee, S.P., Cheok, A.D.: Poultry.Internet: A Remote Human-Pet Interaction System. In: Proceedings of CHI 2006 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 251–254 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Novint Falcon, http://www.novint.com/index.php/novintfalcon
- 5.Apple iPad, http://www.apple.com/ipad/