A Visualization Concept for Mobile Faceted Search
Nowadays, people are increasingly using their mobile devices to find different kinds of information, for example, about products, trips or latest news. Therefore, mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets have become a constant companion for many users to have access to information at any time and any place. The large amount of data and information that is provided to the user by mobile devices differs in its feature set and visual representation. To ensure the success of an app and to keep the user from an information overload by presenting too much information, a wise preparation and visualization of the data is necessary. Faceted search provides an opportunity to focus on specific information by filtering. In this paper we present a general visualization concept for faceted search on mobile devices, especially on smartphones.
Keywordsvisualization faceted search mobile devices design patterns
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nudelman, G., Gabriel-Petit, P.: Designing Search: UX Strategies for eCommerce Success, pp. 270–273. Wiley (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Morville, P., Callender, J.: Search Patterns: Design for Discovery, p. 98. O’Reilly Media (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Shneiderman, B.: The Eyes Have It: A Task by Data Type Taxonomy for Information Visualizations. IEEE Visual Languages, 336–343 (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Russell-Rose, T., Tate, T.: Designing the Search Experience: The Information Architecture of Discovery, pp. 168–245. Elsevier, Inc. (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Karlson, A.K., Robertson, G.G., Robbins, D.C., Czerwinski, M.P., Smith, G.R.: FaThumb: a facet-based interface for mobile search. In: CHI 2006: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 711–720. ACM Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Nudelman, G.: Android Design Patterns: Interaction Design Solutions for Developers, pp. 153–201. Wiley (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Magazine, S.: How to Create Selling eCommerce Websites. Smashing Magazine, 66 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Neil, T.: Mobile Design Pattern Gallery, p. 76. O’Reilly Media, Inc. (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Fling, B.: Mobile Design and Development: Practical concepts and techniques for creating mobile sites and web apps, p. 134. O’Reilly Media (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Weiss, S.: Handheld Usability, pp. 70–91. Wiley (2003)Google Scholar