A Review of Using Online Social Networks for Investigative Activities
In this paper, we will describe the use of online social networks (OSNs) for law enforcement. With the increased growth of use of OSNs, the use of OSNs for law enforcement has also shown a parallel growth. Such a trend can easily be seen in the increase of reported number of criminal cases being solved by police officers of various countries. It is of interest to find out how OSNs are actually used by law enforcers to anticipate a crime, how they are being used by law enforcers to solve a crime committed, how they are used by criminals to commit a crime and what possible further needs law enforces have in using OSNs for predicting and solving crimes.
In order to be able to answer these questions, we have done an extensive review of the literature and existing available crimes. This led us to understand the nature of using OSNs for law enforcement. Further, we have contacted a questionnaire with the top level law enforcers in Turkey in order to find answers to the given questions above.
KeywordsOnline Social Networks Law Enforcement Framework Investigation Digital Forensics Evidence Analysis Tool Digital Crimes Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.World Map of Social Networks, http://vincos.it/world-map-of-social-networks/
- 2.Huber, M., Mulazzani, M., Leithner, S.S., Wondracek, G., Weippl, E.: Social Snapshot: Digital Forensics for Online Social Networks. In: 27th Annual Computer Security Applications Conference, pp. 113–122. ACM Digital Library, New York (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.A Digital Forensic Investigation Model for Online Social Networking, http://www.cms.livjm.ac.uk/pgnet2010/MakeCD/Papers/2010042.pdf
- 4.Assault Fugitive Who Was Found Via Facebook Is Back In NY, http://newyorkcriminallawyersblog.com/2010/03/assault-criminal-who-was-found-via-facebook-is-back-in-ny.html
- 5.Facebook status update provides alibi, http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/12/facebook.alibi/
- 6.A Digital Forensic Investigation Model and Tool for Online Social Networks, http://www.cms.livjm.ac.uk/pgnet2011/Proceedings/Papers/m1569453211-mohd_zainudin.pdf
- 7.Facebook Sex Trafficking: Social Network Used To Kidnap Indonesian Girls, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/29/facebook-sex-trafficking-_n_2036627.html
- 8.Facebook Sex Trafficking: Social Network Used to Kidnap Indonesian Girls, http://www.sileo.com/facebook-status-update-leads-to-robbery/
- 9.Burglars Use Social Media to Plan crimes, http://www.blog.littlesafe.co.uk/?p=969
- 10.Criminal Use of Social Media (2013), http://www.nw3c.org/docs/whitepapers/criminal-use-of-social-media.pdf?sfvrsn=10
- 11.Digital Crime, http://www.dcrime.com/dcrime.pdf