An Alternative Media Experience: LiveLeak
This research examines a video sharing web site called LiveLeak to be able to analyze the possibilities of democratic and horizontal social mobilization via Internet technology. In this sense, we take into consideration the Gilles Deleuze and Félix Guattari’s philosophical conceptualization of “rhizome” which provides a new approach for activities of online communities. In the light of this concept and its anti-hierarchical approach we tried to discuss the potentials of network communication models such as LiveLeak in terms of emancipating use of media and democratic communication. By analyzing the contextual traffic on the LiveLeak for a randomly chosen one week (first week of December 2013) we argue that this video sharing web site shows a rhizomatic characteristic.
KeywordsLiveLeak Rhizome Social Networking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brecht, B.: The Radio as an Apparatus of Communication. In: Brecht on Theatre, pp. 51–53 (1932)Google Scholar
- 2.Benjamin, W.: The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction (H. Zohn, Trans.). In: Arendt, H. (ed.) Illuminations, pp. 217–251. Schocken Books, New York (1936/1969)Google Scholar
- 3.Crichton, T.: Blair and Bush’s Lates Weapon on War: YouTube. Herald Scotland (January 13, 2007), http://www.heraldscotland.com/blair-and-bush-s-latest-weapon-of-war-youtube-1.827146 (retrieved December 2, 2013)
- 4.Deleuze, G., Félix, G.: A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia (Brian Massumi, Trans.), 5th edn., p. 5. University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis (1987)Google Scholar
- 5.Castells, M.: The Rise of the Network Society: The Information Age: Economy, Society, and Culture, vol. 1. Wiley. com (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Anderson, B.: Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism (New Edition). Verso (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Rowe, R.: Children’s Fight Club. BBC-Panorama (July 29, 2007), http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/panorama/6921555.stm (retrieved December 2, 2013)
- 8.Nelson, S.C.: Francois Murad, Catholic Priest ‘Beheaded By Jihadist Fighters in Syria. The Huffington Post UK (July 07, 2013), http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07/01/francois-murad-catholic-priest-beheaded-jihadist-fighters-syria-_n_3527372.html (retrieved December 2, 2013)
- 9.Vatikiotis, P.: Communication Theory and Alternative Media. Westminster Papers in Communication and Culture 1(2), 4–29 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Deleuze, G., Félix, G.: A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia (Brian Massumi, Trans.), 5th edn., p. 5. University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis (1987)Google Scholar