Ergonomics and Usability in Sound Dimension: Evaluation of a Haptic and Acoustic Interface Application for Mobile Devices
This paper addresses the usability evaluation results performed in an application for mobile devices. The referred application uses haptic and audio interfaces to provide access to web content. Based on the model of listening mechanisms proposed by Schaeffer, the researchers’ team responsible for this project, sought to ally the fundamentals of Software Engineering, Ergonomics and Usability Engineering to the purpose of broadening the possibility of using and handling mobile technologies that allow access to information available in telematics environments by means of synthesis and voice recognition, including also tactile commands. The ergonomic and usability evaluation of the application was performed by specialists in the software engineering field having Nielsen´s heuristics and normative proposals by NBR-9241-11:2002 as bases. The results of the evaluation performed in the application, as well as the modifications done in it are presented in this paper towards contributing with information inherent to the practical application of usability concepts in human-computer interfaces development.
KeywordsUsability Haptic Interface Audio Interface Mobile Devices
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Ronzhin, A., Karpov, A.: Assistive multimodal system based on speech recognition and head tracking. In: Proceedings of 13th European Signal Processing Conference, Antalya (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Schaeffer, P.: Traité des objets musicaux: essai interdisciplines. Nouvelle Édition. Éditions du Seuil, Paris (1966)Google Scholar
- 5.Sharp, H., Rogers, Y., Preece, J.: Interaction Design: Beyond -Human Computer Interaction, 2nd edn. Wiley (March 2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Rebelo, I.B.: Interação entre Homem e Computador e procedimentos de Avaliação. Centro Euroamericano UNIEURO (2007), xxx. Última atualização 2009. Disponível também em: http://pt.scribd.com/doc/19653938/IHC-Interacao-entre-Homem-e-Computador-ApostilaTASIIHC20092 (acesso em: December 17, 2013)
- 7.ASSOCIAÇÃO BRASILEIRA DE NORMAS TÉCNICAS. NBR 9241-11: Ergonomic for Office Work with Visual Display Terminal (VTDs) /Part 11. 2002. Based on ISO 9241-11:1998 Google Scholar
- 8.Dias, C.: Usabilidade na Web, 2nd edn. Alta Books, Jacaré (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Nielsen, J., Molich, R.: Heuristic evaluation of user interfaces. In: Proc. ACM CHI 1990 Conf., Seattle, WA, April 1-5, pp. 249–256 (1990)Google Scholar
- 10.Cybis, W., Betiol, A.H., Faust, R.: Ergonomia e Usabilidade: Conhecimentos, Métodos e Aplicações, 2nd edn. Novatec Editora, São Paulo (2010)Google Scholar