Scissors – A Precise Pointing Widget for Touch Screen Devices
A common complaint of touch interaction concerns the lack of precision and false negatives, especially in applications inherited from the PC and mouse context. This work introduces Scissors, a virtual widget for tasks that require precision while interacting with touch screens. It also prevents occlusion of targets, is effective for screen edges and is compatible with current interaction techniques. We developed two prototypes for testing: the first introduced a basic learning scenario and the second presented two sequences of targets with different sizes and locations. The system recorded, for each target, the time spent and number of attempts to select it. We performed tests with thirty-one users and evaluated their data according to statistical test, in this case, t-test for difference of means. The results showed that the Scissors widget was very effective in the scenarios that motivated its conception attaining an equivalent or up to 11.5 times higher success rate, thus achieving its main purpose.
Keywordspointing widget interaction technique touch devices
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bi, X., Grossman, T., Matejka, J.: Fitzmaurice. G.: Magic Desk: Bringing Multi-Touch Surfaces into Desktop Work. In: CHI 2011, Vancouver, BC, Canada, May 7-12 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Buxton, B.: Multi-Touch Systems that I Have Known and Loved (2013), http://www.billbuxton.com/multitouchOverview.html
- 3.Esenther, A., Ryall, K.: Fluid DTMouse: Better Mouse Support for Touch-Based Interaction. In: AVI 2006, Venezia, Italy (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Ingram, A., Wang, X., Ribarsky, W.: Towards the Establishment of a Framework for Intuitive Multi-touch Interaction Design. In: AVI 2012, Capri Island, Italy, May 21-25 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.NPD DisplaySearch: Tablet PC Market Forecast to Surpass Notebooks in 2013. In: Quarterly Mobile PC Shipment and Forecast Report (2013), http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/130107_tablet_pc_market_forecast_to_surpass_notebooks_in_2013.asp
- 6.Saffer, D.: Designing Gestural Interfaces. O’Reilly Media, Sebastopol (2008)Google Scholar