Web Privacy Policies in Higher Education: How Are Content and Design Used to Provide Notice (Or a Lack Thereof) to Users?
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.DeSantis, N.: U. of Iowa Shares Data With Local Sheriff on Students Seeking Gun Permits. The Chronicle of Higher Education (December 17, 2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Loh, W.: UMD Data Breach (2014), http://uhr.umd.edu/2014/02/umd-data-breach
- 4.Cox, J.: Are Colleges and Universities at Greater Risk of Data Breaches? Network World (2010), http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/091510-higher-ed-data-breaches.html
- 5.National Conference of State Legislatures, http://www.ncsl.org/research/telecommunications-and-information-technology/security-breach-notification-laws.aspx (retrieved February 2, 2014)
- 6.FERPA, 34 C.F.R. section 99.3 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.California Social Media Privacy Law S.B. 1394 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Jensen, C., Potts, C.: Privacy Policies as Decision-making Tools: An Evaluation of Online Privacy Notices. Paper presented at the CHI 2004, Vienna, Austria (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Au, N., Law, R.: Presentation Formats of Policy Statements On Hotel Websites and Privacy Concerns: A Multimedia Learning Theory Perspective. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Article 29 Data protection Working Party, Opinion on More Harmonised Information Provisions 1198704/EN WP 100, European Commission (2004)Google Scholar
- 15.Kelley, P., Cesca, L., Bresee, J., Cranor, L.: Standardizing Privacy Notices: An Online Study of the Nutrition Label Approach. In: Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, p. 1573. ACM, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Leon, P., Cranshaw, J., Cranor, L., Graves, J., Hastak, M., Ur, B., Guzi, X.: What Do Online Behavioral Advertising Disclosures Communicat to Users? Carnegie Mellon University CyLab (2012)Google Scholar
- 18.Heng, X., Dinev, T., Smith, J., Hart, P.: Information privacy Concerns: Linking Indivdiual Perceptions with Institutional Privacy Assurances. Journal of the Association for Information Systems 12(12), 798–824 (2011)Google Scholar
- 22.Jensen, C., Potts, C.: Private Policies Examined: Fair Warning or Fair Game? (2003)Google Scholar