SOA Modeling Based on MDA
Along with the boom of Web services and the thriving Model Driven Architecture (MDA), we must consider the growing significance and utility of modeling in the development of software and solutions. The main advantages of MDA are the ability to transform one PIM into several PSMs, one for each platform or technology in which the final system will be deployed, and the automatic code generation that implements the system for those platforms from the corresponding PSMs. Service-oriented architectures (SOA) are also touted as the key to business agility, especially when combined with a model-driven approach. Model-Driven Architecture (MDA) is a well-developed concept that fits well with SOA, but until now it has been a specialized technique that is beyond practical application scope of most enterprises.
In this paper, we describe the initial investigation in the fields of MDA and generative approaches to SOA. Our view is that MDA aims at providing a precise framework for generative software production. Unfortunately many notions are still loosely defined (PIM, PSM, etc.). We propose here an initial exploration of some basic artifacts of the MDA space to SOA. Because all these artifacts may be considered as assets for the organization where the MDA is being deployed with SOA, we are going to talk about MDA and SOA abstract components to apply an e-business application. We also discuss the key characteristics of the two modeling architectures, focusing on the classification of models that is embodied by each. The flow of modeling activity is discussed in the two architectures together with a discussion of the support for the modeling flows provided by MDA. Our model of framework – a unified modeling architecture – is introduced which illustrates how the two architectures can be brought together into a synergistic whole, each reinforcing the benefits of the other with case study.
KeywordsModel-Driven Architecture (MDA) Domain Model Serviceoriented architectures (SOA) Software Process Improvement Component Based Development Repository
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bezivin, J., Hammoudi, S., Lopes, D., Jouault, F.: Applying MDA Approach for Web service Platform. In: Proceedings of the 8th IEEE Intl Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Conference (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Huhns, M.N., Singh, M.P.: Service-Oriented Computing: Key Concepts and Principles. Journal of IEEE Internet Computing (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Rahmani, A.T., Rafe, V., Sedighian, S., Abbaspour, A.: An MDA-Based Modeling and Design of Service Oriented Architecture. In: Alexandrov, V.N., van Albada, G.D., Sloot, P.M.A., Dongarra, J. (eds.) ICCS 2006, Part III. LNCS, vol. 3993, pp. 578–585. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Gokhale, A., Natarajan, B.: Composing and Deploying Grid Middleware Web Services Using Model Driven Architecture. In: Meersman, R., Tari, Z. (eds.) CoopIS/DOA/ODBASE 2002. LNCS, vol. 2519, pp. 633–649. Springer, Heidelberg (2002), http://www.cydex21.com
- 5.Radhakrishnan, R., Wookey, M.: Model Driven Architecture Enabling Service Oriented Architectures. Whitepaper SUN Microsystems, pp. 1–13 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Skogan, D., Gronmo, R., Solheim, I.: Web Service Compositionin UML. In: Proceedings of the 8th IEEE Intl Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Conference, p. 111 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Mahmoud, Q.H.: Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) and Web Services: The Road to Enterprise Application integration (EAI). Sun Developers Network (April 2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Bajo, J., De Paz, J.F., Rodríguez, S., González, A.: Multi-agent system to monitor oceanic environments. Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering 17(2), 131–144 (2010)Google Scholar
- 14.Závodská, A., ŠRamová, V., Aho, A.M.: Knowledge in Value Creation Process for Increasing Competitive Advantage. Advances in Distributed Computing and Artificial Intelligence Journal 1(3), 35–47 (2012)Google Scholar
- 15.Satoh, I.: Bio-inspired Self-Adaptive Agents in Distributed Systems. Advances in Distributed. Computing and Artificial Intelligence Journal 1(2), 49–56 (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Agüo, J., Rebollo, M., Carrascosa, C., Julián, V.: MDD-Approach for developing Pervasive Systems based on Service-Oriented Multi-Agent Systems. Advances in Distributed Computing and Artificial Intelligence Journal 1(6), 55–64 (2013)Google Scholar