Mining and Modeling the Phenomenology of Situational Awareness
One expert has said "Most simply put, situational awareness (SA) is knowing what is going on around you."  "Knowing" is not just having a checklist of facts. Functionally, SA is about possessing information of sufficient scope and accuracy to support decision making that facilitates effective action. Augmented Cognition research shows that presenting too much data, even of high quality, can be as harmful to effective cognition as presenting little or no data . Research has shows that in 35% of aviation errors in SA, all needed information was present, but not attended to by decision makers.  This work presents a formal but simple mathematical SA Model, and describes the application of data mining and modeling to SA errors resulting from inattention to the most salient facts. The model is applied to two data sets to demonstrate a general approach to automating the detection and diagnosis of SA errors.
Keywordssituational awareness decision support coincidental correctness context error
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Endsley, M.: Situation Awareness Analysis and Measurement, ch. 1. Taylor & Francis e-Library. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc. (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Hancock, M., Wood, K., et al.: Helping the User Fail : Ergonomic Modalities and Distraction. In: Kaber, D., Boy, G. (eds.) Advances in Cognitive Ergonomics, ch. 16. CRC Press (2011) ISBN 978-1-4398-3491-6Google Scholar
- 3.Jones, D.G., Endsley, M.R.: Sources of Situation Awareness Errors in Aviation. Aviation, Space and Environmental Medicine 67(6), 507–512 (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Eric, S., Toner, M.D.: Creating Situational Awareness: A Systems Approach. N.p.: n.p. Institute of Medicine Forum on Medical and Public Health Preparedness for Catastrophic Events. Web (June 10, 2009), http://www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/PublicHealth/MedPrep/Jun-10-11-2009-Commissioned%20Papers/Jun-10-11-2009-Commissioned-Paper-Creating-Situational-Awareness-A-Systems-Approach.pdf (February 6, 2014)
- 6.Connors, E.S., Endsley, M.R., Jones, L.: Situation Awareness in the Power Transmission and Distribution Industry. In: Rep. SA Technologies. Web (2007), http://www.nerc.com/pa/rrm/hp/2012%20Human%20Performance%20Conference/SA%20for%20Power%20T%20D-HFES.pdf (February 6, 2014)
- 7.Hancock, M.F.: Practical Data Mining. CRC Press (2012) ISBN 978-1-4398-6836-2Google Scholar