Using VR for Complex Product Design
Virtual reality is a key technology for the designing of products through complex human-product interactions. This paper deals with the development of a product design method for complex human-product interactions, using the virtual reality (VR) technology. This VR method uses the graph theory in order for the complexity of the designed product to be measured on the basis of human task analysis. The latter is for the purpose of recording and analyzing the human-product interactions within an immersive simulation session. The proposed method undergoes tests in a realistic aerospace case.
KeywordsProduct Design Product Complexity Immersive Environment Virtual Prototyping
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chryssolouris, G.: Manufacturing Systems: Theory and Practice, 2nd edn., p. 606. Springer, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Suh, N.P.: Theory of complexity, periodicity and the design axioms. Research in Engineering Design - Theory, Applications, and Concurrent Engineering 11(2), 116–131 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Pahl, G., Beitz, W.: Engineering Design: A Systematic Approach. Springer, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Boothroyd, G., Dewhurst, P., Knight, W.: Product Design for Manufacture and Assembly. Dekker, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.El-Haik, B., Yang, K.: The components of complexity in engineering design. IIE Transactions (Institute of Industrial Engineers) 31(10), 925–934 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Ahn, J., Crawford, R.: Complexity analysis of computational engineering design processes. In: Proceedings of the 1994 ASME Design Technical Conferences, Minneapolis, MN, USA, vol. 68, pp. 205–220. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Design Engineering Division (1994)Google Scholar
- 9.Simon, H.: The sciences of the artificial. MIT Press, Cambridge (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Balazs, M.E., Brown, D.: Design Simplification by Analogical Reasoning. In: Cugini, Wozny (eds.) From Knowledge Intensive CAD to Knowledge Intensive Engineering (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Summers, J.D., Shah, J.J.: Mechanical Engineering Design Complexity Metrics: Size, coupling, and solvability. Journal of Mechanical Design, Transactions of the ASME 132(2), 0210041–02100411 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Airbus Flight Crew Operating Manual A319/A320/A321 Flight Operations 3Google Scholar