Wavelets-Based Clustering Techniques for Efficient Color Image Segmentation
This paper introduces efficient and fast algorithms for unsupervised image segmentation, using low-level features such as color and texture. The proposed approach is based on the clustering technique, using 1. Lab color space, and 2. the wavelet transformation technique. The input image is decomposed into two-dimensional Haar wavelets. The features vector, containing the information about the color and texture content for each pixel is extracted. These vectors are used as inputs for the k-means or fuzzy c-means clustering methods, for a segmented image whose regions are distinct from each other according to color and texture characteristics. Experimental result shows that the proposed method is more efficient and achieves high computational speed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wyszecki, G., Stiles, W.S.: Color science: concepts and methods, quantitative data and formulae, 2nd edn. John Wiley and Sons (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Kwak, N.J., Kwon, D.J., Kim, Y.G., Ahn, J.H.: Color image segmentation using edge and adaptive threshold value based on the image characteristics. In: Proceedings of International Symposium on Intelligent Signal Processing and Communication Systems, pp. 255–258 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Klir, G.J., Yuan, B.: Fuzzy Sets and Fuzzy Logic-Theory and Applications. PHI (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Chen, T.W., Chen, Y.L., Chien, S.Y.: Fast image segmentation based on K-Means clustering with histograms in HSV color space. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing, pp. 322–325 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Antonini, M., Barlaud, M., Mathieu, P., Daubechies, I.: Image Coding using Wavelet Transform. IEEE Transaction on Image Processing 1(2), 205–220Google Scholar
- 10.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing, 2nd edn. Pearson Education (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.MacQueen, J.B.: Some Methods for classification and Analysis of Multivariate Observations. In: Proceedings of 5th Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability, pp. 281–297. University of California Press (1967)Google Scholar
- 12.Bezdek, J.C.: Pattern Recognition and Fuzzy Objective Function Algorithms. Plenum Press (1981)Google Scholar
- 13.Castillejos, H., Ponomaryov, V.: Fuzzy Image Segmentation Algorithms in Wavelet Domain. In: 2011 8th International Conference on Electrical Engineering Computing Science and Automatic Control (2011)Google Scholar