Matra and Tempo Detection for INDIC Tala-s
In the context of Indian classical music, matra and Tempo are two important parameters to represent the rhythmic pattern of a composition. Detection of such parameters enables organized archiving and retrieval of music data. In this work, a simple methodology for detecting matra and Tempo is presented. It is based on the extraction of basic beat pattern that gets repeated in the signal. Such pattern is identified by processing the amplitude envelope of a music signal. matra and Tempo are detected from the extracted beat pattern. Experiment with number of audio clip of tablaa signal for various tala and Tempo indicates the effectiveness of the proposed methodology.
Keywordsmatra Detection Tempo Detection Indian Classical Music
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sarkar, M.: A real-time online musical collaboration system for indian percussion, 33–36 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Raman, C.V., Kumar, S.: Musical drums with harmonic overtones. Nature, 453–454 (1920)Google Scholar
- 4.Malu, S.S., Siddharthan, A.: Acoustics of the indian drum. Technical report, Cornell University (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Chatwani, A.: Real-time recognition of tabla bols. Technical report, Senior Thesis, Princeton University (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Patel, A., Iversen, J.: Acoustic and perceptual comparison of speech and drum sounds in the north indian tabla tradition: An empirical study of sound symbolism. In: Proc. 15th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, ICPhS (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Gillet, O., Richard, G.: Automatic labelling of tabla signals. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Music Information Retrieval, ISMIR 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Samudravijaya, K., Shah, S., Pandya, P.: Computer recognition of tabla bols. Technical report, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Chorida, P.: Segmentation and recognition of tabla strokes. In: Proceedings of 6th International Conference on Music Information Retrieval, ISMIR 2005 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Klapuri, A.: Sound onset detection by applying psychoacoustic knowledge. In: Proc. Int. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, pp. 3089–3092 (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Lartillot, O., Toiviaine, P.: A matlab toolbox for musical feature extraction from audio. In: Proc. Int. Conference on Digital Audio Effects (2007)Google Scholar